HAs anyone else read Deceptively Delicious or the Sneaky Chef and tried any recipes?

Not sure which recipe to try next. Tried the Deceptively Delicious brownies and I could stomach them, but my kids knew they were funky and did not eat them!

Asked by 2coolmama at 10:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I have checked out that book and given it to many a mother of a picky eater. They have all thoroughly enjoyed it. I often cook my own recipes that "hide" the main, more healthy ingredient but I am lucky and don't live with any picky eaters....

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 10:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My sister uses them on her kids and she thinks it's hilariious that they dont know they are really eating veggies. She says her kids LOVE mom's new recipies.

Answer by vbruno at 12:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I've read both of them, however my opinion is that I would never "hide" things in my children's food. I would rather them eat the actual item. Kids these days need to learn that they can't always have it their way, parents are far too NON-demanding because they want to be their child's best friend. Do I want to get along with my kids? OF COURSE! But the way to do it is to be honest with them. Hiding healthy things in their food is not only lying (IMO), but it also isn't teaching them good eating habits. You may think "haha he's eating a brownie with zucchini in it!" but to him he's just eating a brownie. It doesn't teach healthy eating habits, and I don't agree with that. The only thing "hidden" in my son's food is flax seed and that because I put it in ALL of our food.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:37 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• There has been so much promotion of this cookbook, especially on CafeMom by Biz(sp?) agents who are compensated for starting conversations and asking about it, and are supposed to reveal their affiliation, but often don't,-that I checked it out of the library. I was very dissappointed. I feel the same way as the previous mother. It does not teach children good food habits to hide vegetables in their food. If there is no junk in my house, they can't eat junk, but what happens when they're someplace other than home? I feel it is my job to purchase and prepare healthy food to give a good start to my children, and to lead by example.

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2008