Christmas Tree Question

I have a 15 month old who gets into EVERYTHING and climbs on EVERYTHING.
I got an email newsletter yesterday from BabyCenter on how to toddler proof your Christmas Tree and one suggestion from them was putting it into a Pack N Play... I looked it up online and a lot of people do it.

Would you do that? Any other tips would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't. I like everything to look nice. I have 3 kids and no one ever bothered the tree. Just don't put any breakable ornaments down low, he will take them off.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I just put up a small one and put it up on a table, my DS would not stay out of the presents so, they went to the basement and came out on Christmas morning! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• You could just get one of those baby fences... like a pack n play only they don't have a bottom, enclose the tree?? I personally haven't done anything special.
    Anonymous

• No way, that would look terrible. I have had a crawling 9 month old and a 16 month (different years) and have had no problems. They're prickly and not much fun to play with, really. You can put some cloth and plastic ornaments at your toddler's level and make sure you have a sturdy base, or you can buy a smaller tree and put it up on a table.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I would do this- you could decorate the pack and play with garland, etc. My son wouldn't have been very good with a tree at 15 months- and I wouldn't want to risk having it fall onto him. My son was 13 months old with our tree last year and he didn't really care about it. This year he is really into it. He helped put ornaments onto it. Our cat always climbs into the tree and he will find me and say
    "No! Xena- out of the tree!!" he also always says "hi tree, bye tree" when we come home or get ready to leave somewhere. It is so cute.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• http://www.walmart.com/North-States-Superyard-Xt-Gate/ip/8457890

I got this for my daughter. She she got older I was able to run it the lenght of the room (we have a great room so no doorways). At christmas, we strethed it out and put it in front of the tree and fire place. She's 2, this year we just have soft/plastic ornaments on the bottom.
    Anonymous

• I have the super playard gate and i love it! I planned on putting it up around my tree this year. turns out i havent had to yet! i thought my 18 month old would be all over it. So far so good!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I'm thinking of using the Superyard gate, as well. Do what you need to. It's about safety, not style.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2009