Is there a way to determine if there is a rip in the amniotic sac?

My sister is 32 weeks and in the hospital for extremely low amniotic fluid and strong contractions. Only a week and two days prior she had an ultrasound which showed perfect development and amniotic fluid, etc.

I am wondering if there could have been a tear and if there is a way to determine this that I could ask her doctors and nurses about (as they don't seem to be doing much themselves or have much sense)?

Asked by Memigen at 12:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• She may have been really dehydrated. That happens. The contractions can be an indication of dehydration.
    She might have been leaking some fluid, but usually most moms will notice that.
    Amniotic fluid is constantly being replaced in there, so drinking more can keep help levels up.
    But tears can reseal, too.
    Did she notice an leaking at all?

Answer by doulala at 1:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I've had low fluid 4 times. I wasnt leaking. They were never able to determine a cause though. It seems I am just prone to it happening.

Answer by lisa89j at 1:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2009