My new puppy is a nightmare...

I bought a puppy from a pet store(I didn't realize at the time that 90% of puppies at pet stores were from puppy mills) Anyway, he's really cute and thinks our family is the best but hates other people! Anytime a friend comes over he snaps at them and when I bring him in public, which I do a lot in hopes of socializing him, he causes a scene. I really don't want to spend the money bringing him to classes. I've been doing some research and am certain he wasn't handled by humans much or at all when he was younger. He is now 4 months old. My question is: Is it too late for him? Do I still have time to train this dog to like other people and other animals or is this going to be an ongoing problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Pets

• No it is not too late for him. Get him out as much as possible. Expos him to as many situations and people as you possible can. Start his training in public. When ever he sees people give him treats to make a positive experience. Do not pick him up or pet him when he reacts to something because that will make it worse. Getting him into a class is the best thing you can do.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• No, it's definitely not too late but you WILL have to take him to obedience classes and expose him to as many people, places and situations as possible (he needs both). You can't say that you want to fix the problem but be unwilling to do any of the proven methods to fix it. If you're unwilling to take him to classes and socialize him PLEASE do the dog and yourself a favor and rehome him to someone who will. Without it, you're very likely to end up with a vicious dog that could hurt someone.
    Anonymous

• You said it perfectly ANON!

If you are unwilling to spend the money to properly socialize your puppy mill puppy, please rehome him. He will end up being a liability in your hands if he is untrained and un-socialized. Puppy Mill pups have little interaction and are taken away from the underfed, non trained, very sick mothers at 4 weeks old. They are then shipped in kennels that are barely big enough to stand up in and filled with 10 or 15 dogs per kennel. By the time they get to the pet store they are mal nourished, sick, dehydrated and suffering great amounts.

He has reason to be scared of strangers, all strangers did to him was take him away from his lttermates and mommy....didn't fed him, or care for him or train him.

YOU need to step up and take care of him.....or find a good rescue or home where someone will take the time and spend the money to train him properly. You are doing him no favours by keeping him.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Def NOT to late. You have him at perfect teaching age. I say get a full water bottle, and give him a squirt when hes bad. Or have a rattle or bells or some loud jarring sound so when he is being a butt, you rattle or whistle and it distracts him and changes his direction. leave a baggie of treats at the door, so when your friends come over as they enter they can give him a treat, then making them awesome in his mind. I suggest watching some Ceasar Milan, or "it's me or the dog"  http://animal.discovery.com/tv/its-me-or-dog/

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:44 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• You can train him. treat him like a toddler. Praise when he is good. You need to become the alpha dog (puppy's mother) so that he will act from your cues. Correct & redirect when he's bad. When other people are entering your home, he is merely trying to protect HIS family. Greet the people with a handshake or hug so that he knows they are friends. Encourage your guests to greet him too. I like the treat at the door idea.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Umm, dogs cost money.

You don't seem like you are too educated...
    Anonymous