My 8 month old...

My son is almost 8 months old, when is it ok to start him with a training spoon? He knows exactly what to do with a spoon because he's grabbed his from me before and put it right in his mouth. So is it ok to let him give it a shot now or should I wait until he's older? When did you start letting baby give the spoon a try?

Nesa_Z

Asked by Nesa_Z at 12:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go for it - be prepared for a mess, have the camera handy!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• It's okay to start them when you want to start them. We waited for a couple more months and started with a fork...easier to stab food than to scoop. They never mastered a spoon until 18 months or so...
    Anonymous

• Mine's almost 7 mo & I've been letting her try to feed herself the last couple of bites for bout a month. She can do it sometimes but its definately messy!!!! The books & experts are just guidelines, if your little one seems ready go for it!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Thanks ladies I might let him sit on a beach towel (toss it in the wash after) and give it a shot tonight.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 3:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2009