Strange things in baby's diapers

My 2 week old son has these strange things that appear in his diapers when I change him. At first I thought it was from the petroleum jelly we were using for the gauze pads after his circumcision but we havent had to use them for over a week now and these "things" are still there.

They look like tiny clear crystals but they arent hard. They have the consistency of gelatin. Could it be from his diapers? We've used a couple of differnt brands of diapers so far. Could it be from his urine?

He is a very calm baby. He mostly eats and sleeps, barely cries...so I dont think whatever this is is causing him pain. I am wondering what it is.

Any ideas?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be fromt he diapers. The best one's I found were the Pampers Cruisers and Swaddlers. What was in my daughters diapers was like gel or cotton from the diapers we were trying. Plus the Pampers just ended up being the best for sensitive skin and the best at keeping them dry.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I would say diaper. But I would still check with the dr asap. We are not trained to say that it's not a medical problem.
    Anonymous

• It's from the diapers. Change the brand. That's what happens to diapers when they are over-saturated. It shouldn't happen if you are changing him regularly. Try Pampers, I always liked those.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• It is from the diapers, Pampers are the best boy diapers around! They form when the diaper cannot absorb the amount of moisture, maybe it is time to move up a size as well, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I would say it is from the diaper. However the only time I have ever had this problem is when I used a diaper for swimming. The "goop" that holds the pee got so full it exploded. Maybe change him more frequently...
    Anonymous

• http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&ref=1580
    Anonymous

• Have you ever seen an exploded diaper? FULL of that stuff. :-)
    Anonymous

• Yes. Try changing more frequently even just for wet diapers. Those are the crystals that absorb wet... and the start coming out of the diaper when the diaper's saturated.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I agree probably the crystals from the diaper... this happens to my son's diapers sometimes in the morning when he has a super wet diaper from the night before.
    Just make sure your son's diaper isn't getting that wet and it should solve the problem.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2009