Would your child appreciate a $5 walmart giftcard?

My uncle recently got remarried and I have no idea what to get for his new step kids. They are 10 and 13. We don't have much to spare as far as money goes...but we don't want to leave them out of our holiday buying. I know $5 isn't much...but it's all we have to spare. Do you think they would like it or think we were being too cheap? Thanks so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Holidays

• Gift card? Yes. Walmart? No. www.wakeupwalmart.com

Answer by rkoloms at 1:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• No, At that age they expect at least $20 or more. But if that is all you can aford. That is all they can get.

Answer by louise2 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Why don't you get them SOMETHING that amounts to about that? Like a little dollar store stocking full of candy or something? I doubt they'll appreciate the $5, because what will they be able to buy with it?? The candy on the other hand will go a long way!! But that is just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• My kids were taught to appreciate what ever they get, and they do. Because honestly know one has to get them nothing, better something then nothing.

I don't care if it is a pack of bubble gum.

We were at the movies, and they gave us, samples of shampoo, my daughter was so happy, she said she was washing her hair with that tonight.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My brothers kids would appreciate any gift... My other nephews, however, would be offended. Its a respect thing. Some are taught and some are not. I've told the kiddos I've worked w/ through the years, "What did you have before you got this?" "Nothing." "So now aren't you glad you have this?" "Yes". Works every time ;-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• i agree with the anon answer at 1:06 pm. go to the dollor store and get them something that amounts to $5 each. the candy in a stocking is perfect. they dont need to know where you got it, and it will look more like a kind gesture than a cheap gift.
    Anonymous

• My sons are 18, 19, 22 and 23 and yes, they would all appreciate a $5 gift card. They've been taught that it's the thought that counts the most. Plus, we celebrate Chanukah and their last night gift doesn't cost more than $10 so, they don't have any big wish lists in life.
    Anonymous

• Although I'm sure an extra $5 would be appreciated, I think they would probably more appreciate a gift worth about $5.

Wow...rkoloms...I knew people like you existed, but never thought I'd meet one. I'll think of you as I go Wal-Mart'ing later today!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My kids wouldn't. They can't buy something for that. How about an Aeropostale T shirt? I just looked at the website and they are $9.75. I think that is a good gift. My 14 year old likes them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Wow to the parents who acknowledge their kids wouldn't way to say yea to greediness, my DD would appreciate anything she doesn't already have and if she didn't want to shop at Wal-Mart I would trade her the five for it and then she can go to Aeropostale herself and buy her own t-shirt if she has another 5 dollars saved up, if not she can save it or spend it on something else.
    All kids should be happy to get anything at all if not it is called entitlement and a really big problem with today's youth ask any Psychologist.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 1:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2009