Burning question for Christians.

Why do you believe? What makes you soooooo sure there is life after death? Don't give me biblical crap, why do you personally believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that God and Christ exists.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I'm a born again. My mom never raised me in the church, I actually think she's kinda atheist. Anyway, I went through a super dark time in my life and it was then that some very good friends invited me to their church service. I was so moved by the sermon that day and I secretly began to cry. It seemed like the pastor was speaking directly to me and ironically described my situation. It was like a light came into my life and the hopelessness and despair just disappeared. That moment changed my life and although I don't go to church every Sunday, I always know that I am taken care of. I don't feel the way I do b/c the Bible's scripture inspires me, I just feel like I have this 6th sense that someone else is in control of my life and will guide me where I need to go. That's comforting to me. Today I saw a homeless man walking...My immediate response would normally be, "Wow, that's sad" But instead, I had a (cont)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• spiritual feeling that made me realize, "Wow, this person is alive by the grace of God and that's an amazing thing!" Life is so precious, and a gift, so I don't feel sorry for folks who are less fortunate and have a spiritual connection to God, b/c that's a good life IMO.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I've seen miracles. I've felt him touch my life. I've seen him take someone's life and turn it totally around. He's within me and it sets my life free.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• because I see dead people

sorry but this question has been asked a few times in the last few days. its old, there are personal stories and really unless you feel the supernatural touch you wont' understand
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry, I can't answer this question very well without quoting the Bible, but here goes: I believe because God has shown Himself to me through the world and, yes, through the Bible. I believe because I have to; my life would be just a big waste if I did not have something to believe in. I believe because I want to have meaning and joy that lasts through all my trials (and there have been plenty). And since I believe that "biblical crap", I have to believe that there is a life after this, one in which I meet my Creator and Savior and worship Him forever.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• It's about hope and fear. Hope that there's something more. Fear that this life is all we have. Fear that there will be a punishment for not believing. Mortality is a powerful thing hanging over everyone's heads. The thought of living forever is so wonderful and comforting, and Christianity promises it.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure how a chrisitian can answer your question without referencing their biblical belief. what do you want them to just make it up?
    Anonymous

• anon 1:54 what do other religions promise?
    Anonymous

• I've been raised Roman Catholic Christian and I've had experiences and read about other people's experiences. So even without the Bible, I'm pretty convinced.

Also, to quote a movie or a book that I read/heard somewhere: "believing isn't seeing, seeing is believing."

Faith is a gift. Even if you can't SEE God, He reveals Himself in other ways. Just look at children. I think they're living breathing miracles no matter what biological/scientific evidence there is about reproduction I still say that's a miracle.

Read stuff by St. Faustina K. Augustine of Hippo, Padre Pio...there's a lot of "Non-Biblical" proof out there.
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• First I'd like to say that knowledge is NOT gained through insult. The bible is referred to as biblical text, not "crap".

I use to be a Christian and I use to believe whatever the preacher said, b/c he was the "man of God". I believed that Jesus was the son of God and that he died for every one's sin and rose again on the third day. I believed that he would come back one day and rapture the church, and I believed in the 10 commandments. I believed those things b/c someone else told me that if I did not I would burn forever in a lake of fire - I was 6...

Im 22 now, and a firm believer that the bible is flawed in many way, and that Jesus, was not a man at all, but rather a figurative parable.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2009