a question about my son's penis

My son is 18 months old and and I have noticed over the last few day's that the tip of his uncircumcised penis is red. He is not red anywhere else so I don't think it is a diaper rash. It doesn't seem sore. Is this normal? I hope I can get some help here because I am a little embarrassed to take him to the doctor to have his wee wee looked at.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've had to take my son in for "little man" questions. Yes I was embarassed but. . . they are doctors and they are there to answer our questions. So, don't be embarassed, you aren't alone in this one. Call the doc. and have it checked out. . . better safe than sorry right?
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Why would you be embarrassed about that?! It's your son's health!! I would want to know what was wrong if it was my son. I'm not sure why it is red, but it would certainly concern me. And trust me, the doctor has seen MUCH worse. A baby's penis? Don't they look at that at every baby appt. you have!?
    Anonymous

• i would suggest taking him to the doctor. it is nothing to be embarrassed about. at most appointments they check boys anyways to make sure their testicles have dropped. plus its better to make sure he doesn't have an infection or something else than to let it go for your personal sake...
    sherwins.girl

Answer by sherwins.girl at 1:48 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• It might be a UTI. The skin can get irrated easily. The doctor thing I totally get. I've have to take my son in before and even though I'm his Mom, you cant help but feel like youre a werido. *shrugs* But in the end, youre his Momma and ya see his junk every day. People know this. And with him being so young, you have to check it over every once in a while to make sure its all ok. :) Good luck!
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 2:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Maybe it's just some irritation... try just putting vaseline on it and see if it gets better... sometimes it gets irritated from the diaper rubbing

If it looks swollen or sore then you should bring him to the doctor.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• is he sitting in wet diapers a longer than normal time lately? Ammonia "burns" can occur this way & show up as redness. I'd make an appt w/ his Ped & also call the advice nurse (but take him in so the doc can physically see the redness).
    take care :)
    wymom94

Answer by wymom94 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• redness CAN be a sign of the beginning of an infection. Just take him to be safe. That's what docs are there for.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2009