Breastfeeding

I would like some helpful, nonjudgemental advice. I have been breastfeeding my daughter, now 7 mo but my milk is starting to dry up. Tried everything to get it to increase but its just getting less & less. Now I'm pumping about an ounce every 4-6 hrs, used to fill a 4 oz bottle no prob. She's eating solids & cereals. My ? is this: When my milk drys up do I HAVE to supplement her w/ other milk? I have refused so far to give her formula & won't because of the chemicals in the formula (she gets organic veges & fruits). I don't want to debate how safe formula is, my mind's made up so please no bashing. I have heard of an organic formula & am looking into it but if she's eating solids already how important is the milk? Thanks ahead of time for HELPFUL responses.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here are the best ways to increase your supply:
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• not sure if I'll be any help but here I go... Milk is VERY important in there diet... and in your case, I would go with the organic formulas since thats what you want. From what I've been told, they get most of there nutrition from the milk the the foods...
    Anonymous

• If you mean solids as in babyfood...she still needs breastmilk or formula. If you mean solids as in table foods, a varied and balanced diet...then it's worth talking to the pediatrician about. (ours had us start milk at 9 months, but they were on all table foods, etc)

Does she NEED actual "milk"? Not as a toddler, but an infant isn't supposed to have milk.

As for the formula...it is your decision, but it comes down to the health of your baby....proper nutrition.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately I think she needs the formula for proper brain development. Ask your doctor though.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Have you tried drinking beer? I actually didn't do this but I was told by my doctor, my mother and just about every other breast-feeder out there that beer (just like 1) is actually really good for breast milk because of the wheat or whatever in it. My doc said "It's so good for breast milk." I've seen breast feeding mamas sometimes have a beer just to increase the value of the breast milk. Everyone I know swears by it.

Also, make sure you're getting plenty of fluids--water and juice and the like. Also make sure you're eating plenty of proteins, too.

You might try also talking with your doc about what you could do.
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If you want to increase your milk supply it will help to increase the demand. You can stop pumping and put her to the breast often-- as much as possible.

I just went through this, too. By nursing my DD more often (even though she rarely got much), I was able to really get my supply back up a bit.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Are you basing the idea that you are drying up on pump output? Most women do not respond well to pumps, and at some point, even if they had large output initially, their output will drop. This DOES NOT mean you are drying up. rkoloms has great tips for increasing supply. I will add two more: eat oatmeal, in any form, every day, and nurse first THEN feed solids so that the baby is still getting most of the nutrition from milk and your body is getting the message of how much to produce for the baby.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• To add: the baby will need either formula or breastmilk until they get a year old. Cow's milk is not a good idea until then. An organic formula is probably your best bet. You may have to try different formulas to find the one that works best with your lo's tummy, and I would expect her to have a mildly upset tummy until she gets used to the change in foods; that's normal.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• well is eithr formula or bm , so if you dont want the baby getting formula is time to increase supply. what have you done to increase supply?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Have you tried pumping every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night for a couple of days??
    Or actually physically nursing your baby more often (is there a reason you can't? like working? hate it?)

Organic formula is what I used when my son came home from the NICU and I had to supplement until my supply caught up.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2009