My MIL is bring her four dogs to my house for Thanksgiving!

My MIL is coming to our house for Thanksgiving and it is a long drive. She said she could not find anyone to watch her 4 dogs and asked to bring them (2 labs and two small dogs) She knows I love dogs but I hate dog hair. (So bad that whenever I had a dog I lint rolled everything everyday untill I could not stand it anymore and got rid of the dog) I said yes...but I am already freaking out! My MIL will sleep upstairs...is it wrong to say the dogs has to stay down stairs??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Holidays

• How long is she staying? I wouldn't have allowed it but I already have tons of animals so it would be a mess if someone else brought theirs. I say they are in your house so you better make us some strict rules and stick to them if you are lucky they are well behaved.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 1:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My question would be HOW exactly you intend to keep the dogs from just going upstairs? Unless you plan to confine them to a bath or laundry room, they're pretty much going to go where they want.

I'd say just add lint rollers to her last minute Thanksgiving shopping list, enjoy the holiday, and just "roll" everything after she leaves. We ALL put up with crap we can't stand at the holidays...
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Just deal with it and clean when she leaves. You already said they could come.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If she tried to find a sitter for them then give her a little credit I guess. Can you set up a little area in the garage for them. Your family will be cooking and food everywhere. Im sure she will find out quick that the dogs need to get out of everyones plate soon enough. Hang in there,.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Wow I thought I was bad for asking to bring our small well behaved dog to my SIL for thanksgiving, they have dogs, but the answer is and always is still no..my BIL hates animals! I guess just deal with it, the Labs will probably be fine outside, but I bet my bottom dollar the two little ones are her babies, you already said yes, just change the vacum cleaner bag and go to town when she leave LOL! Your a good daughter in law!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• can't she afford to put them in a kennel? i would make her vacuum, it's her dogs.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Well, it's her bring her dogs or she stays home. We have 5 dogs and you can't just travel sponatneously. I am fortunate enough to have friends of my sons who will gladly stay at our house and houe/dog sit when we go away and it's only $100 plus food. Kenneling is so expensive plus, even with a vaxed dog, you risk illnesses like kennel cough which can be fatal to a dog (we battled it 2 years ago when we adopted a dog from a shelter and almost lost 1 of our dogs because of it).

If I didn't have dogs or if I didn't like dog hair then I would suggest the dogs either stay in her room, stay in the basment or stay in an extra room. Unless the Labs are used to staying outside for long periods of time that's probably not an option. My 5 (1 Lab, 1 medium sized mixed breed, 1 Bragle/Basset and 2 Yorkies) are all inside dogs so outside would never be an option.

good luck and enjoy your time with your mother in law.
    Anonymous

• I would be looking into other options. Its a safety risk to bring four dogs to an unfamiliar home around unfamiliar probably very excited kids on a holiday. Screams disaster. I would ask her to keep them outside or in the garage and tell her it isn't personal but you're afraid something might happen. Even the nicest dogs can go nutso when a piece of turkey drops to the floor next to your little ones foot. Maybe look into a kennel near your house or someone near your house that can take care of them for a few days while she is in town. I'm sure someone wants a few extra bucks during the holidays to watch them.
    Anonymous

• It is so gross to have 5 dogs living inside your house. Yuck.
    Anonymous