Is 5 and a half months too young for CIO?

My DD is 5 and a half months. She still gets up twice through the night to eat. It's driving me nuts! My oldest was sleeping through the night by 5 months! Why can't this one? There's no reason she should need to eat through the night. I tried to just let her cry herself to sleep last night, and she just gets herself more and more worked up until she's screaming so loud you'd think someone was killing her! It's ridiculous. This is stupid. She should be sleeping through the night by now. Is CIO REALLY that bad? I mean, honestly, what's the harm in a little crying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try giving her some ceral mixed with the formula at the latest feeding possible before u put her down for the night..it will keep her full for longer letting u get some much deserved rest as long as possible
    MRS...VIC

Answer by MRS...VIC at 1:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• No she shouldn't be sleeping through the night if she's still waking to eat!!! And cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard not to mention she'll be MORE hungry later when the cereal has digested! Your oldest slept through at 5 months..great! THIS IS NOT YOUR OLDEST! Get over it and do what is right.

If she was waking just to wake and not wanting to eat it would be a different story, but she's hungry!! Feed that baby!
    Anonymous

• The thing about it is. Every child is different. Just because one child sleeps well does not mean the other will. My son did no sleep through the night until he was around 7 months and now still at 14 months he will wake up in the night from time to time. No it is not a bad thing to let them cry a little but, you have to pick and choose your battles. I did everything that could be done for my son and it took a while to get him to sleep through the night. He just ended up doing it on his own. And he was getting up 3-4 times every nitght to eat! They will sleep thorough the night when they are ready. One thing you could try is try putting her to bed at a set time every night. Wake her up to eat before you go to bed. Change her diaper and feed or a full warm bottle. Make sure the room is dark while doing this. Basically what you will be doing is setting her waking times to the time thats best for you. Good luck
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Ignore the cereal in the bottle answer not only is it very dangerous it has the opposite effect and NO it does not help baby sleep through the night (Old wives tale)!!!

As others have said NEVER compare babies, even your own. You are going to be in for a long list of disappointments and a much harder road if you continue to compare your children!

Your child, obviously, does NEED to feed during the night (especially at 5 months). CIO is a method shrouded in controversy, for good reason, and goes against every motherly instinct we were entrusted with so why anyone would entertain such a method is beyond me. BTW CIO does not mean leaving a child to cry until they fall asleep. Ignoring a child while they cry can lead to a multitude of problems that can last a lifetime!!! Leaving a child to cry IS harmful!

Anonymous

• We did it at around 5 mos. and she started sleeping through within 3 days. I know everyone says that and I was skeptical, but she reallly did and she is a very stubborn child. I was going nuts with working full-time having to get up so frequently. She was up every 3 hrs like clockwork. So one night, I decided I would not feed her until 5 hrs. had passed. She was up after 3 and DH and I just took turns going in to pat her back to sleep every 10 mins. unti she stopped. We never picked her up, just patted her back. After 3 days, she went the 5 hrs. and then started sleeping all the way through the night. Good luck! CIO does not mean you shut the door and never go back in again! There are more painless alternatives, but consistency is key. Do the same thing every time you go in, otherwise she won't get the message.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Oh, and this was AFTER my doctor confirmed that she did not need to eat during the night. As long as your baby is eating every 4 hrs during the day, she should be able to skip 1 feeding at night. They get used to it, they don't need it. More than one doc. has confirmed this.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Is it really that bad, you ask? I don't know. We have the highest infant mortality rate in the industrialized world. Our babies die of SIDS twice as much as most other industrialized nations. SIDS can strike any-time in the first year. Could it have anything to do with our selfish parenting practices and insistence that babies "leave us alone!" "let us sleep!" ? Hmmm.

We also have some of the highest rates of autism and learning impaired among industrialized nations. Hmm.

Just remember, Child Protective Services considers it neglect after your baby cries for 45 minutes unattended.

And, when she gets that worked up it could be causing permanent damage to her adrenal/cortisol monitoring system in her brain. You could end up with an anxious child. Read the research!

CIO is really meant for tantrums in older children - not sleep-training infants!!

Maybe read the no-cry-sleep-solution?
    Anonymous

• I think evey baby is different and I gave cereal in the bottle and they are still alive... Just like all you moms who have to have the "nursery water" in order to feed ur babies....raising a child has become way over rated and everyones always like dont do this, dont do that....who cares! People post these questions cause there looking for ideas toremedy the situation....Cereal worked for me, it worked for all of us when we were younger and it still does the trick in 2009!
    MRS...VIC

Answer by MRS...VIC at 3:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Twice a night is fantastic at 5 months. Really, it's ideal.... I would be concerned if baby wasn't waking at least that often!

And CIO isn't "that bad", unless you consider stress hormones changing the way their brain functions and setting them up for PTSD and panic disorders later in life. Yea... no big deal.

Cereal and solids really have no effect on how much a baby sleeps... they wake because they need to wake. They need REAL nutrition and they might even just need some cuddles.

Co-sleep if you need to get more rest.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If you are going to let her cry at this young age I would not just let her cry until she falls asleep- when my daughter was between 6-7 months we needed her to start falling asleep in her crib so I would do all the bedtime stuff, and then put her down and set a timer for two minutes. When it went off I would go in and shush her, rub her back, sometimes pick her up. I would go out and reset the timer. The first night I probably went in ten times but she did fall asleep. Second night was maybe 8 times. After a few nights I set the timer to 3 minutes. Within a week or so she was falling asleep most of the time with only one or two visits after putting her down. For your baby I would think that the first step would be getting her to one feeding a night- going from 2 to none seems like too much. My daughter still eats at night once in a while even at 14 months. You could also try feeding her less each time- just reduce by an ounce
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:29 PM on Nov. 23, 2009