any tips for getting my son to learn how to hold his own bottle??? or do they just get there on their own??

LennonT0609

Asked by LennonT0609 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine never did. We had to teach them to hold a sippy cup.
    Anonymous

• The thing about this is. All kids do things at there own pas. If he is not holding the bottle yet but, he is holding toys in his had and doing everything else he should be doing at his age. Then I would not worry too much about the bottle. I think for some babies it is just a comfort thing and they want mommy or daddy to do it. When he/she is ready he will do it on his own.

smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• well when my son got about 4 mnths old iwas propping his bottle be i had 2 yrs old also to deal with. i know that sounds bad.. but he eventally started holding it
    Anonymous

• Why would you want him to hold it so badly? When I feed my daughter her bottle, I see it as a nurturing and cuddly moment, and enjoy it. Before I know it, she will be all grown. They grow up too fast. IMO.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 2:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My son figured it out on his own, but that doesn't mean he wanted to. He would hold onto it, so it wouldn't be taken away. However, he wouldn't hold onto it so he could drink it. It had to be propped up for him to drink it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Take the time to feed your child. Your child is meant to be held during feedings. It helps with proper development. If a grown adult can't be bothered or it is too hard to hold a bottle for baby then why in the world would you expect an INFANT to do what an adult won't or can't be bothered with?

Anonymous

• My DD's been holding hers since 5 mos. She just started grabbing on to it and then one day refused to let go! Now she is 8 mos. and forcibly yanks the bottles out of my hand to shove into her mouth! She wants nothing to do w/ me feeding her.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• i only asked because I want to make sure he's developing properly and if he's not on the right track how i can help him get there. I know its a milestone when they learn how to hold their bottles up. That's not to say I don't enjoy feeding him and cuddling him because I do. But I want him to grow properly as well. He's 6 1/2 mos old I just thought that by this age he should be holding his own bottle. He grabs all his toys and even tries to get his spoon when i am feeding him. So from what I've gathered he's doing ok. thanks ladies :))
    LennonT0609

Answer by LennonT0609 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I don't think DD held her bottle until she was over a year old. It's not that she couldn't but she simply didn't want to. I enjoyed the time with her so I never minded that I had to hold it. Your son is just fine. =)
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 8:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2009