Do your kids deserve to feel entitled?

So it has become a very large problem with today's youth that they feel entitled to just about everything. I see many parents who still allow their children to grow up believing this so is this something some parents overlook or do some mom's really believe their children have a right to feel this way?

PsychMommie

Asked by PsychMommie at 1:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes I am raising my child to feel entitled. He is being raised to know he is entitled to love, respect, compassion, and fairness. In return to also show that same empathy and kindness to others. He is entitled to my time, my energy, and the best I have to offer him of myself. He is also entitled to many gifts. Including the gift of wishing, wanting, waiting, and disappointment. Those gifts I bestow onto him so that he can understand the joys of life as well.  Without understanding wishing, waiting, and wanting you don't truly appreciate all the little joys in life either.  I haven't really met too many entitled children but I have met a few adults who believe their needs, as well as their children's needs, come before anyone elses.  Even when there are others who need to be assisted first.  That does annoy me.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I never raised my girls to think they where entittled to anything but food on the table, cloths on there backs, and a roof over there heads. And a k though 12th grade education. Everything else is something they had to work for.

Answer by louise2 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yup, same here. Our son is not entitled to anything except the most basic necessities of life - food, clothing, and shelter - and this doesn't mean fancy gourmet meals, namebrand clothes or a huge fancy house w/loads of expensive gadgets. When I say basic, I mean basic. Anything above and beyond the basics is a treat or reward for hard work, which makes us all appreciate our good fortune that much more.

There are adults (and I use the term loosely) who believe they are entitled to have what "everyone else" has just because they breathe the same air, while others are trying to give their children everything they felt deprived of as kids, and still others give their kids everything out of guilt for not being around more for them. I guess what I'm saying is that yeah, there are parents who feel their kids should be entitled.
    Anonymous

• Children are only entitled to love, respect, basic needs to live, and not being abused/neglected. Everything else is a bonus. I think the problem is that parents use material things as a way to control their young kids, not realizing that when they get older, it won't work anymore, and the kids are not well disciplined to respect anything, so they end up running everything, and the parent cries "WHY!?".
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Hell no. Entitlement issues bug the crap out of me. If a person wants something, s/he sure better earn it.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Not raising my kids that way. They actually have gotten nothing for their birthdays because of behavior. They aren't entitled to birthday gifts. This past year my oldest got 1 outfit from Target for her birthday. We let her pick it out and we asked her if she understood why she wasn't getting any other gifts and she said, "yes, because I haven't behaved all year and don't deserve any new toys." She only complained once when her brother and sister's birthdays rolled around and they got gifts. I gave her the look and she's like, "I know, I didn't behave."

We're still debating whether or not to do Christmas this year. They sure don't need more "stuff". We might do books and jammies this year but we're not doing a bunch of toys. My kids don't get a lot of stuff. We might have the money but they don't need more stuff. They don't get stuff every time we are out, etc. And they know it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My children will never grow up believing they are entitled to something. My children will earn their keep in this household and allowence only comes to those who do their chores. My children will never be handed money without their chores being done and done right. My children will never have privliages if they don't obey and bahave. I am not a strict parent, but there are rules that are not going to be broken or changed. The only thing they're entitled to is a K-12th grade education and that will not be taken lightly either. They will be expected to get good grades and behave in school. Parents use material items to raise their children. They bribe them to behave and to basically obey. Too many parents take the easy way out and that leads to children walking all over their parents. My children will never, ever disrepsect DH and I like that. They will be put in their place quick if they try and manipulate us like that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I was entitled to say NO to their demands and I said with a smile. Grin LOL

Anonymous

• Yes and what follows? Blame. Blaming others for not getting what they felt entitled to. Big problem.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Nothing bothers me more then entitlement issues. I work for a bank and there is nothing more annoying then some 23 yr old college student calling in because they overdrafted their account and they "didn't know" or "didn't understand" and that its not their fault because no one told them how to manage their own money, and how they are in college and their parents only give them so much a month to live off of and how were they supposed to know that they would get a fine for spending more then they had to spend...

I don't have much empathy for entitlement issues. My opionion is that your entitled to basic human rights, the rest you earn... period.. I hope that I a doing a good job teaching my children that.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2009