shoes?

Ok so my little one just turned 1. He is walking we have put shoes on him for awile now(not all the time mostly just when we go out). Now that he is walking when we go places I want him to have shoes on so that he can walk I'd he wants to. He doesn't mind wearing them. One of my friends told me that he is to young to be wearing shoes on a regular basices. She says it makes their feet not develop rite. What do you all think. I think that as long as the shoes wrent to small and he looks confortable wearing them then it shouldn't mater. Iam a first time mommy and any advice will help thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• obviously if he is walking, he needs shoes when out in public. Just make sure he gets to walk in his bare feet at home
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Well if he is walking out side the house. I say put some soft shoes on him. Any other time he does not need them. Just needs socks on.

Answer by louise2 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Barefoot is best, but shoes are sometimes necessary. Try to buy shoes that are very flexible for a new walker.
    Anonymous

• Your friend is basically right. When they are learning to balance and stand and walk and run, it's best that they are shoe-less as much as possible...which I just took as when we were home. If you are out and about, it makes perfect sense for him to wear shoes if you plan to allow his feet to touch the ground.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I used soft sole shoes with my daughter. I got them at target, there just like the roobeeze but much cheaper. They are probably the closest thing to barefoot that you can get while still wearing shoes. Hope that helps.
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My daughter ALWAYS wears shoes when we leave the house. It would be irresponsible to leave the house with him shoeless and let him walk around. At home, let him run around barefoot, but in public, it's only common sense that he needs shoes. Your friend is misinterpreting the information.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If he is walking, he should be in shoes, I would say. When I get shoes for my kids, the first thing i do, is bend to see how flexible they are ans how soft they are. I like the ones you can bend into almost a little ball.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 2:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• When my son was a new walker he was mostly barefoot (but it was also summer) and when we were out we usually put shoes on him (he didn't get to walk around if he didn't have them) And when he started to wear shoes on a more regular basis most of them were a soft flexible sole... the other kinds made him trip.
    Now that he's been walking for several months he wears both soft soles and hard... we didn't start to harder soled shoes until he had been walking for about 3 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My doctor told me to put soft flexable shoes on my DS. I only put shoes on my son if we were going out to the park or somewhere I knew he would like to walk.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 3:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• he needs them when you go out but not all the time. Its not good for their feet to wear all the time. If I know my baby won't be walking I will just throw socks on her but mostly when we go out she does have shoes.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2009