Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just found out that I'm required to cooperate with the child support office because I'm on Tenncare!

I'm on tenncare b/c my job doesn't offer the coverage I need yet. I don't want him to be alone with my baby. He beats on his dog and lets it potty on the carpet and doesn't clean it up! He drinks and drives and smokes marijuana. What am I supposed to do? How can I make it supervised visits or none at all? btw-that dog bit me while i was pregnant, so there's another reason.

Answer Question

Asked by mandielynn23 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 19 (6,641 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • child support and visitation are two different things. Being required to cooperate with child support only means you have to let them go after him to get child support, not that you have to allow him visitation. That would be a separate issue, and if he took you to court for that, he'd have to do it himself, they wouldn't help him, and then you could give your reasons for not wanting him to have visitation.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 2:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

  • Maybe vioce you concerns to someone and see if they can force a supuvised visit.

    Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

  • Do you have a lawyer? Was this brought up when the judge was determining visitation? The only way you can change the current arrangement is to go back to court with your proof and hope the judge thinks that is enough.
    I'm sure you would have to cooperate with the judges decision even if you were not on any kind of assistance, government or other. A judges order is a judges order. Of course it should be well known that if you take anything from the government you are under their thumb. I hope people pay attention to your post and realize this.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

  • tropicalmama is right, you are talking about two totally different issues.. Child support enforcement only deals with Child support, not visitation.

    Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 2:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

  • YOu can request a random suprise drug test, that should help with the visitation, the child support is something different, maybe he won't even want visitation, the State wants their money, good luck MOM!

    Answer by kimigogo at 2:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

  • You need to talk to a lawyer!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

  • If you expect to go in requesting drug tests and all that expect to have to pay upfront out of your own pocket (And they can get expensive through the courts.. believe me..)

    Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 2:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

  • he's on probation for pills and drug parephanelia also

    Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

  • Okay, so do yourself a favor and go to court. This visitation will be all laid out. What my ss's mom did (and it was completely uncalled for, but she is quite the liar, not saying that you are but this is what we went through) we had temporary visitation set up where my husbands visitation HAD to be supervised (he has never been in jail, no nothing she is just a bitch) by either his parents or YOUNGER brothers. She could drop three drug tests on him a month for three months with only 24 hours notice. If he passed she paid, if he failed we paid. There was NEVER a reason for this and she never made him test because she knew that it would be a way to get the visitation supervised if she said he had a drug habit. Child support is a separate beast by it's self, what I would do is get EVERYTHING in the courts. You will be a happier mama if you have a plan of attack and the courts in your corner. GL!

    Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.