Thanksgiving triumphs/mishaps.

Have you ever forgot to defrost the turkey? Got a little drunk of the holiday spirit?
Had a perfect day?

No mishaps here yet ((crosses fingers)). I made a great turtle cheesecake one year though.

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 2:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Holidays

• The first time, many years ago, were were stationed away from family and had to go it alone. The turkey was perfect, the stuffing was ..well it wasn't Moms. Most everything was going pretty good right up until I took the pumpkin pie out of the oven. My youngest son came crawling itno the kitchn. Oven was open, my hands wer full of hot pie as he reached to put his hand on the door to help him stand up all I could do was scream NOOOO! He stopped and started bawling, My husband ran in wild eyed thinking a murder was taking place and started laughing which melted me into tears. I turned around to put the pie down and slipped and splatted pie all over the counter. It was quite a day..funny some 25 yrs later..but stressful then.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My first year to make my own meal I was so excited. We couldnt go home and I was sad about that but I decided that even though it was just the 3 of us I would cook the whole big meal. I didnt cut recipe so I had way too much food. I used all my new wedding dishes and displayed it all buffett style. It was gorgeous and i took lots of pics of it. After a move I found that roll of film and had it developed. It was then that I realized I never took a pic of my husband or dd...it was ALL food pictures. LOL I was really proud of my hard work!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I was a home health aide when I was about 18-19 years old. I was sent to help a family of about 6 people make their Thanksgiving meal. I think the mom was mentally ill, but I really don't remember many details. I knew I could stuff a turkey because I loved helping my mom, so I thought it would be fine. But when I got there the turkey was still frozen. I must have called my mom like 10 times that day. I was trying to defrost it using cold water, then warm water. I finally did get the bird into the oven and left a note for the husband about what time to take it out. I never heard a word about how I did. But that really stayed on my mind all these years.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• This is a gross story but last my family of about forty sat down and began eating a huge beautiful meal and my grandma chocked on the turkey and threw up on the table. Everyone was so grossed out. You saw 40 forks drop at the same time and everyone went and watched football and didn't finish eating. YUCK!
    Anonymous

• Well let's see... a few yrs ago I was doing Thanksgiving (we then lived an apt), dh was called out on a fire(he is a firefighter) and since I don't do a whole turkey (we do only the breasts) I thought cool, get the 2 birds in the over med/low (still frozen) earlier than planned enjoy some quiet time...
    I don't know about 10 am that morning the entire town's power went...LMAO.... it was about 60 here (and that is saying ALOT for MI) when the boys got back to the hall(they didn't know about the power) they had 1/2 the towns folk bitching at them.... I was getting ready to pull the grill out called the in-laws and gave them the choice wither or not to come over... they did dinner took longer the power got back on later in the day and a poor squirrel won't be celebrating any more Thanksgivings...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2009