how to make cabbage rolls?

My husband loves them. me, not so much. But I am tempting to make them tonight...I know I need hamburger and cabbage...got those, what else do I need, how do I do it and how long do I cook it for

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 2:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• add rice and spices to your meat. Roll serving size portion in cabbage leave, pour tomato sauce over all and bake or put in the crock pot.
    Anonymous

• I do them all different ways. Sometimes I add a tomatoe paste but my favorite is to add a cream of celery soup to the hamburger and mix in some onions and other veggies and then bake them. I think that they are very versatile and yummy.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Cabbage Rolls
    1TB packed brown sugar
    1 large head green cabbage
    1 can (15 oz.) black beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or 1.5 cups home cooked)
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1/2 cup chopped carrots
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3-1/2 cups marinara sauce or meatless spaghetti sauce (jarred or home cooked)
    1/3 cup raisins
    3 TB lemon juice
    Remove 8 large outer leaves from head of cabbage. In a Dutch oven cook cabbage leaves in boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes or just until leaves are limp. Drain cabbage leaves. Trim the thick rib in center of each leaf. Set leaves aside. Shred 4 cups of the remaining cabbage; place shredded cabbage in a 3-1/2 to 6 quart crock pot. In medium bowl combine beans, cooked rice, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 4:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Divide bean mixture evenly among the 8 cabbage leaves, using about 1/3 cup per leaf. Fold sides of leaf over filling and roll up. Repeat with remaining cabbage rolls Combine remaining marinara sauce, raisins, lemon juice, and brown sugar. Pour about half of the sauce mixture over shredded cabbage in cooker. Stir to mix. Place cabbage rolls atop shredded cabbage. Top with remaining sauce. Cover and cook on LOW heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on HIGH heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours. Carefully remove the cooked cabbage rolls and serve with the shredded cabbage.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2009