was wic enough for your baby???with formula?

just thought i would ask

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It was but now that they have made changes it's not enough, what about the moms out of work who can't afford to buy anything!?!?!?!?
    Anonymous

• they give you up to 11 a month. if your kid is more thne that then is time to buy.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Nope we get 9 cans an he goes through 11! but wic does help out alot an im greatfull for that!
    mommyof2boysmd

Answer by mommyof2boysmd at 3:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Not quite. Always had to get a couple extra cans at the end of the month. However, once my baby started with food I got more than enough. I had ten extra cans whenever she stopped taking the bottle.
    mkrmomma1

Answer by mkrmomma1 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• WIC is a supplemental program. It's not meant to supply all of babies food/formula. If you can't afford half of babies formula (and some formulas can be $25+/can), then I suggest you look into breastfeeding. WIC will give you help on how to do it and may even supply you a pump if you work/go to school.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Like Leanne said, WIC is not intended to be "enough." It's supplemental, meaning, in ADDITION to what you buy.
    To the person commenting on their changes, they're working to encourage breastfeeding. They also provide a lot more breastfeeding help now as well, and of course, it's not cut and dry, you can do BOTH.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• well it depemds i ff my first and i got 11 cans a month and thast what she ate. with ds now am eping,. he gets formula once in a while. i get 3 cans amonth.

anyways is her choice to bf or ff, not ours.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• It's not supposed to be. If it is you either have A. a really small baby B. you didn't feed your baby enough C. you pushed them into too much solids, too soon...
    Anonymous

• This was one of the dilemmas WIC was having when they were giving more formula before. People weren't getting enough formula, and so they would water it down or push too many solids on their babies. Now that they're giving even less formula, they realize mothers are going to be doing even more of this penny-pinching behavior and it IS unsettling to them. They will just encourage healthy solids instead of watering down formula... but neither is ideal .. People who can't afford 2-5 cans of formula a month either need to stop having kids or they need to breastfeed atleast supplementally....
    Anonymous

• Yeah, it was never really enough. Lucky for me my neighbor had just stopped giving her daughter the bottle and had some left over- helped me out the first 2 months of his life!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2009