when to have 1st haircut?

my son is 9 months and his hair are getting longer, just reaching his eyelashes? it looks sometimes to bother him a bit. when it is right to cut baby's hair? i have heard not to do so untill they are at least 1 year, otherwise they would become weak in health? Well, hair are alife and for such small bodies as baby's body they might be a substantial part considering their organisms? i have not thought about it earlier. what do you think? would it be still ok to use a styling gel instead? thanks

baby133

Asked by baby133 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know, my DD is almost two and we haven't done it yet... Sorry I can't help!
    Anonymous

• From what I know most places wont do it under one I did my son at one.
    mom2four25

Answer by mom2four25 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• LOL I have NEVER heard of cutting a babys hair too early and weaken its health! Thats funny! I think your safer cutting his hair than putting styling products on it!!! My son is 18 months and I'm waiting until he is 2 to cut his hair but if his hair was as long as your sons is I would have cut it by now. I'm pretty sure your safe, as long as the person holding the siccisors knows what he/she is doing!!!!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 2:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• What you have heard about hair cutting must be a cultural belief because there is nothing linked to hair and health (at least not in the way you are talking about it). Hair isn't alive, it's dead.
    If you think he needs a haircut go ahead and get it cut.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• answering: i also though hair is dead, but now i think only damaged hair is dead. other hair is healthy hair and growing :)) haha. i will listen more....
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Hair is constructed of dead skin cells that are pushed out the follicle, so yes it is dead and no, cutting it will not weaken your child. Most salons will not cut an infants hair because there is no guarantee that the infant will hold still long enough and not try to grab the nice shiny sharp scissors.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Cut it when it needs it. It has nothing to do with your babies health. I waited until mine were 1 because I knew they would look like a big boy once I cut it and they did.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• LOL, yes that sounds like an old wives tale. I didn't cut DD's hair until she was 2 1/2. When it got long in front of her face, we just pushed it aside. So, when we did cut it, we gave her bangs. I know just cut her bangs when they get too long.
    So, cut it when he needs it. Some kids just have a lot of hair and it grows quickly. I know many moms who cut their child's hair before a year because the hair got long and was getting in the way.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 8:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2009