Why does she do this???

My MIL is constantly calling me when she has a message for SO. He no longer has a cell, so she is always calling me. When I kept telling her I'm at work when she calls, she emails me for everything. She asked SO to pick up a gift for his little sister because the store where she lives is out. She keeps asking ME if he did it yet. I've given her his work number and his email address. It's always "Did he do this? Did he do that?" I'm like I don't know! I don't get a report on his every move! So I have to tell her I'll ask him and call you back, or I'll tell him to call you. When he doesn't, does she call him at work? No, she calls ME at work! and it's not like he doesn't call her, he does, it's just whenever she has a question about anything, she calls me! Seriously, I'm getting exhausted from playing phone tag!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• Get your husband to take control of this situation, he needs to tell your mom that you can get in trouble or something, so she will stop. It's his mom they need to deal with each other. Unless she's trying to make you jealous, b/c he's doing all these things and she might think it pisses you off.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yup, he needs to handle it with her. My husband asks me why the kids do whatever weird thing they do, and I always say I don't know. I tell him to ask them, since they are usually right there.
    Since you telling her to contact him, and she doesn't, he needs to step up and talk with her. He can get away with a lot more then you can. I hope you don't get in trouble at work, getting so many personal calls. Or does she call your cell? Either way, it could result in you getting in trouble at work.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If she quits getting the answer she wants she may quit calling you. Can you ignore the msg til you get home and answer her one time? Send her an email that they are cracking down on personal calls at work so please email if you need anything. Then when you get the email tell her you will check with hubby at home andlet her know tonight. Have him call her at night with the answer. after awhile she will get tired of the delay and go straight to him.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• That's an easy one you tell her that you can't receive any more personal phone calls while you are at work. So, from now on, call your son for anything. Simple as that.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Ignore her, don't answer her questions or just don't return her calls. Tell him to handle her. That is the only way her behavior will stop.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• yep I agree, ignore her completely until after work and then call 1 time only. If its a bunch of bs like it is now, simply say"listen I dont know that and you really need to call your son." then say some random excuse to get off phone. everytime she asks you aout dh por wants ypu to tell him something make up random excuse to get off phone and dont answer her, every time do it. and eventually she will either confront you(giving you a chance to be honest with her) or she will start calling her son. i have to say, this is a game to her and I would ask hubby to step up and stop it before it escalates.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I agree that if you don't answer or respond then she'll get tired and contact him.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2009