Do you have a special family tradition during the holidays that's been passed down?

Here it's ornaments. When I was a kid, my parents would buy each of us a new ornament every year, then, as each of us moved out, they presented us with all of our ornaments in a special ornament storage box. Now we do the same for our kids.

What do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Holidays

• the ornament thing and also my husbands family gahters christmas eve day and bakes stuff together and just hangs out. but since we are not around family i think we are kinda oging to do something like this and bake with the kids..probally not all day. and let them open up one gift to play with.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My mom did the ornament thing. Now we just do a lot of eating and drinking! We kinda have to b/c my family is crazy, so we all have to take the edge off to avoid the Jerry Springer drama! j/k its not THAT bad ;-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Ornaments and making monkey bread on Christmas Eve, Cinnamon rolls Christmas morning
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• We have our big dinner on Christmas Eve, go look at lights, put out Oreos (among other snacks) for Santa, veggies for the reindeer, and have cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• We watch It's Christmas Charlie Brown every year while decorating the Christmas tree. Some how when I was younger it was ALWAYS on when we did this(I think some how my parents planned it). My senior we just bought it on DVD so we could just do it when we wanted and had time. Last year my son was only 4 month old but we started it with him and we will do it this year too.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 8:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Every year on Christmas Eve we would make our "Christmas Cutouts" (think sugar cookies but they're a little different with more spices and more of a bite to them) and listen to Christmas music :) Also, we always go to my aunt's house for her annual Christmas party. And last year I started up a "lost" tradition...every year my mom would have my brother and I make ornaments for our grandparents and she would have us sign and date them (or she would, lol). So, last year, I set my oldest loose on some pre-cut ornaments with glitter glue and let her decorate to her heart's content! I'm trying to figure out what ornaments we'll do this year :)
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• We picked names for a Secret Santa. $10 limit and you couldn't tell who you had. But with only 5 people in my immediate family, we could always guess who had who. Then on Christmas Eve after dinner, we would exchange gifts. Then my mom and I would watch It's a Wonderful Life and pass out.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 9:49 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My grandma died a week before Thanksgiving in 2006. She was always the one to fix her weird or odd food that everyone loved. She gave me her recipes when she died and I could never open the books. It broke my heart to cook her food without her there. A week ago I brought out the books and have decided to continue on with her traditions by cooking what she use to. Her recipes were very vague so I did trial runs last night to make sure things would be perfect. I made her congealed salad and oyster and shrimp dressing to a T. Tastes just like hers. I hope she is proud because I'm proud of myself.

Other then that, we usually do the ornaments thing too, make goody bags of fudge and pralines, cookies and whatever else comes to mind.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:38 AM on Nov. 24, 2009