Should I take him to the ER?

Yesterday evening my son developed a fever of 102. It went down a little but it hasn't been down to normal since then. He doesn't act too sick other than a little lethargy and his eyes look really weak. I'm concerned that he isn't drinking enough, though. (he has peed two times today, though). His fever isn't really letting up even though I'm giving him tylenol. At what point should I take him to the doctor?

Momincollege23

Asked by Momincollege23 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if u have to ask that question i say go.. with all the deaths out there due to viruses i would not take any chnaces
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 3:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Call the doctor and describe his symptoms. They will tell you what to do.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 3:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't go... besides the clinics should still be open why bring him to an ER if it's not an Emergency (that is what ER means... not 24 hour clinic)
    But a fever is not a reason to go to the ER if there are no other worrisome symptoms. As long as he's drinking some and still peeing then I wouldn't worry unless he develops new symptoms.... like trouble breathing, becomes very lethargic or has signs of dehydration.
    He probably just has a virus and the fevers can last for several days.
    Motrin is much better for pain and fever I would give that before bed to help him get a good nights rest and during the day don't give anything and let his body fight off the illness. Fevers are made to kill off infection.
    Keep pushing fluids... don't worry about if he wants to eat. Sometimes special treats get more fluids in... like jello or Popsicles.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• call your pediatrician and ask if you can bring him in for a walk in visit. if they can't see him today, describe his symptoms and ask if the ER is the best idea. most of the time, they just prescribe tylenol & rest at the emergency.
    Anonymous

• Id say just go to the doctor or er. With all the stuff going on u rather be safe early. I always take my 14mth old son once something doesnt seem like his norm.
    Bellisimarose

Answer by Bellisimarose at 3:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I would call my doctor and ask what to do and when I should take him.
    3 weeks ago my son woke up with a temp of 103.7 and I gave him a dose of tylenol and rushed him to the E.R.. He was acting weird and batting at things. I was terrified but the E.R. doc said it was just a virus. if he stops drinking or starts to vomit take him in. But if you are worried you always have to trust your mothers instinct.
    good luck, mama!
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 3:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Depends on symptoms, if its just a fever, I would wait it out. Its probably viral and there is nothing to be done. Do not go to ER, thats what doctor visits are for.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If you have a nurse hotline on the back of your health insurance card, call them first. They will tell you if you need to visit the ER.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:29 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• how about urgent care?
    Anonymous

• I took my daughter into the doctors office when her fever was 102.6 and she was 11 months old. It turned out she had the H1N1 virus, I would go in regardless.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 5:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2009