I have to get medicaid due to my financial situation. Is there anything that I should be aware of or any problems I may run into that I should be prepared for? or just any advice period?

Princesmommy10

Asked by Princesmommy10 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You just have to go to a doctor that accepts it and that usually limits you but it's not terrible.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Be prepared for a co-pay at each visit. Usually only $1-2
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Finding a doctor who was taking new Medicaid patients was the biggest problem I had. You might have to call around a bit before you find someone. Other than that, it shouldn't be any different than having private insurance; I never got treated differently or anything, and everything was taken care of by Medicaid like it was supposed to be. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yeah, it usually isn't a problem. Although a lot of doctors have stopped accepting Medicaid...
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Make sure your doctor accepts it, or when you get your info call around to the places that they have listed to see if they are accepting new patients. Always keep any information you will need for the renewal/verification in the same place, away from kids or nosy people. When you are sent the stuff for the supplemental plans if you are eligible for those, double check to be sure that you are signing up for one that will give you what you need, i.e. non emergency medical transportation or physical therapy, etc.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Most times your doctor will take it as long as you saw them before you got Medicaid. Make sure to ALWAYS keep your card (in my case letter) with you at all times. Make sure that the pedi that you chose also takes it too :)
    ncarter24

Answer by ncarter24 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If you have trouble finding a doctor that is accepting new patients with Medicaid you can call the number on the back of the card they give you. They can give you a list of doctors close to you that are accepting new patients.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 5:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• what state do you live in i guess some are differnet im on it i dont have to pay any co-pays or anything just if i need meds there like 1 dollars i live in colorado and i know a few drs out here that are good and the one im with right now shes almost always taking new ones
    Anonymous

• if you check your mail and there is a bunch of papers in there to fill out then fill them out and send them back because i saw the papers but did not think that i HAD to fill them out I thought if they needed something they would schedule an appointment but nope I lost mine and my familys because of this and it took for ever to get it back
    Anonymous