im not looking forward to thanksgiving/xmas with my family, because of my son.

this is sad, i know. but last year followed by any other time we have family get togethers, my son just gets out of control. i can understand that he gets bored, because there are no other younger kids in our family. but last year he was annoying the heck out of my cousins.. throwing pillows at them, jumping on them, screaming. and he basically ignored everything i would try to tell him. i put him in a time out, and he said he would be good so i let him out and he went right back to being obnoxious. i think that when he sees that someone will play with him he takes it too far and gets too wild. i have no idea what im going to do though. i need advice pleassseeeee!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• A good ole fashion butt whooping works wonders Hon....just sayin....

Why do you people torture yourself and others with this kind of wild animal children??? Seriously... beat his ass.
    Anonymous

• im all for spanking. but something about doing it in front of my family makes me really uncomfortable.
    Anonymous

• Ok Anon - I was a spanking mom when my 1st child was young, and it did not make her less wild and out of control. I've moved on to a different technique with my younger children now, and I always get compliments on how well behaved they are. I don't think it's all because of the parenting technique either - some kids are just wilder than others, and spanking does not always solve the problem.

OP: if it's not too cold try making sure your son gets some time outdoors to use up his energy. He's a year older now, so maybe it will be better. Talk to him now before the holiday and make sure you compliment him if he is doing well. If he does have a problem, then do your time out somewhere away from all the action. GL.
    Anonymous

• HOW OLD??
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Distract him.
    Bring activities for him to do, dvds, games, coloring books. You said it yourself, he's bored
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 4:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• You don't have to spank him in front of them. Take him in the bathroom, and if he cries, wait until he dries up to take him back out. My mom did that with me as a child, and no one knew. Seriously...my aunt thought she just took me in there and talked to me. Couldn't figure out why it didn't work for her. lol

I actually agree with all of the suggestions here, as ways of curbing the behavior and dealing with it once he's done it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I have a lot of ques b4 I could answer.
    How old is he?
    Does he get this way-out of control- when he's around kids his age?
    Does he always react this way when he's excited?
    What calms him down at home? (Movies, play-doh, coloring, books on tape!)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• he is your boy. i would on a daily basis giggle w/ him and educate in talk. be the best mom of all. he should appropriately to his age know what's right and when and what's not. and apprise him is wording always for him being good. when he gets out of limits w/ you only at home, for 1sr time try not to notice. if repeats, call to his ambition. say instead what he does right and that he was THE BEST EXAMPLE FOR YOU on his thing (reading book till last page, detail he paid attention to etc. just a moment ago). which child would not like to be better then his parent? than he would associate even the bad situation w/ positives and hopefully improve.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• sounds like he just wants attention! I guess being a little kid is hard when you have so many big people talking about big people things around, make special time for him during the day, and take some of his toys, and coloring books to keep him occupied! I don't think whupping him is going to look so hot, my DS and I always talk about what I expect before we go somewhere, okay we are going to grandma's , yes it is going to be boring, after dinner,I will read you a book, then you will have a nap, then we will color, tell him how the day is going to lay out so you can refer back, now johnny remember we are going to color now, now johnny remember we are going to nap, trust me keep calm they have a way of "performing" if they know it is going to make you nutty and they can get away with it, Happy Turkey Day!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Bring some activites for him some coloring books, favorite movies, books, video games maybe some of his older cousins could play with him. Look at it from his point of view. He is board out of his mind with no other kids to play with. Talk to him before hand and tell him what you expect of him. I wouldn't use spanking as the first resort. Make sure you are FIRM with your expectations and make sure he knows what will happen if he doesn't behave.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 12:33 AM on Nov. 25, 2009