i can't afford a bday party for my son :(

my son will be 3 in a couple weeks and i feel absolutely TERRIBLE because i won't be able to afford a birthday party for him. his father is wayyyy behind on child support so he's no help at all. i can really only afford a cake and a few presents, but i still feel really bad. any ideas on how to make his birthday more special for him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you have a McDonalds (with a playyard) anywhere near your home. You do have to pay for happy meals, but you can invite 5 friends and still get out pretty cheap.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• At 3 he isn't going to remember whether he had a party or not- the cake alone will make it specia;
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• sounds pretty good to me have a couple of friends over, and call it good, that is about all we ever do for DS--don't feel bad mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• He's young enough that that is all he needs, a cake and a few small gifts. He probably won't remember it anyhow. I have memories that young, but not of any birthdays. My kids had big parties for ages 1,5,and 10. All the others were quiet family events with just mom,dad, grandma, grandpa, and their only aunt and uncle. Everyone else lives out of state. If you can add some balloons and streamers. But honestly, I know that there are people who spend hundreds of dollars every birthday for a party. That money could be better spent going into savings account for the child.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 4:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• cake and family dinner
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• toddler boyJust do what you can I am sure he will be very happy don't sweat it kids pick up on that.happy birthdayin three weeks.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Birthday party's at that age are way over rated. Wish I knew who ever decided that we had to have them for our little ones. They make us think we're depriving our children when in fact we're not. They'll never remember them. Instead take him and a few friends to the park for free. If it's to cold let them play with play doh, etc at your house. Let them help make home made pizza or a hugh chocolate chip cookie for his birthday cake. This will mean much more then a party with all the trimmings.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• He won't remember. You could rent a movie or go to one and have one on one time, which is really important. Don't worry about it.
    Anonymous

• A cake & a few presents will be a party to a 3 yr old. We don't have a bday "party" for our kids every year. I think having one every year takes the excitement out of it. We only have parties for their 1st, 5th, 10, 13th, 16th, 18th, 21st & 25th etc. On the off years, I make their favorite dinner, and we have cake & ice cream with just family. I agree with the above posters... don't get all upset about it, do the best you can with lots of excitement & you will make his birthday great! One thing that our kids always love is to decorate their own cake. There are lots of fun things you can do to make it fun without spending much at all. Best Wishes!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Keeping it low-key can actually be more fun for him. A big party can be overwhelming for a little one. A little cake and a couple presents are just right. As long as you sing happy birthday and he has some special time with you, he'll have a great birthday.
    There are lots of really cheap fun activities you can do if you want to search online too. Make paper party hats out of newspaper or construction paper, and maybe a special placemat for the birthday boy to have his cake on. Cut up some junk mail to make birthday confetti - He'll love it. Birthdays don't need to be about money at all, they can even be free and still be super special :)
    Anonymous