Do you ever get that "Need to Protect" feeling for other peoples kids?

I saw a little girl in the grocery store the other day wearing a sleeveless shirt while it was snowing outside and I found myself checking out the moms cart to see if there was a little jacket inside. Shame on me, right? But then again, wouldn't you check too? There wasn't a jacket in there but the mom was wearing one. There may have been alot of reasons I suppose that she didn't have one, but wouldn't you have wondered? Doesn't it bring out a protection instinct in you too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was in the waiting area at our hospital and we saw this young mom come in (no I am not a young mom hater I am one myself) come in and had a baby boy who was maybe 1 or almost one and a 7 year old girl with her,the little boy was the one who was sick and not feeling well (he had the arm band) and the mother just hand the boy to the 7 year old and says I am going to go smoke I will be back in a min. !!! My sister and I both dropped our mouths open and could not believe it ....the little girl said what if he crys she said youll know what to do ill be right back and she stayed gone for like 10 mins and the boy was crying and the little girl did not know what to do ....I was soo upset over it....and the nurses and no one said anything about it ..I told the nurses and everything when we went back and they did nothing. I would not leave my kids alone in public period any where for no reason!! they could have been kidnapped!!
    Kelly_Motherof2

Answer by Kelly_Motherof2 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Oh yes! I would go as far as to tell the woman to put a coat on her child.. if she can't look after her child on her own maybe a little advice would help
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• For sure. Also not shame on you shame on that mother for not having her daughter dressed for the weather. Just shows you are a good mom for being concerned :)
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 5:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yes, Ive had those feelings.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My daughter is one to refuse to wear her coat and take it off, insisting that we leave it in the car. She's stubborn and difficult, so IMO, it's her fault she's cold (she's definitely old enough to tell me if she's cold or not though - idk how little the girl was that you saw).
    That being said, I get that feeling at the playground a lot. Once there was a mom or grandma sitting in her car reading, and the little girl who was with her was sitting on the top of the monkey bars leaning over and yelling "look at me!" toward the car. I asked the girl a few times to please be careful and climb down the right way, but she ignored me and eventually fell and knocked the wind out of herself. I rushed over to make sure she was ok, and it took the lady from the car a few minutes to get out and check on her. I got the meanest look from the lady too. I was so annoyed and felt kind of bad for the kid.
    Anonymous

• OP: the little one was about three or four. As for my self deprecating "Shame on Me" comment, I say that only because my hubby has told me on more than one occasion that I should mind my own business.
    Anonymous

• My 7 year old did not want to wear a coat when it was snowing out the other day. I put it in the car and he still refused to put it on. We were just running in the store so I didn't fight him decided to let him suffer the consequences of his actions. You should have seen the bitchy looks I got from all the busy bodies with no lives.lol It was comical. My son was fine and survived the 8 yard run from the store back to the car. Said he would wear his coat from now on. Why not mind your own business you have no clue what is going on.
    Anonymous

• I get that way all the time. And as for the lady with the seven year old boy- I have a clue what is going on-it was easier for YOU to give in than to stick to your guns.
    Anonymous

• Yes I am a intrusive person who notices things like this, I never say anything, because having a VERY strong willed child, who has worn his swimming suit, lifejacket sewn in and cowboy boots to the store, I feel their pain, but I do have the running MOM commentary in my head at ALL times LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I too think it's really not anyone's business. You don't know the whole story, maybe the jacket was shoved in the mom's purse, maybe the little girl does refuse to wear it in the store and it is in the car, who knows! The point is you NEVER know the whole story and you are judging someone based on seeing a small part of their day. How would you feel if someone judged you as a bad parent when you were having a bad moment with your child? Doesn't seem fair to me.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2009