My 6 year old won't listen, forgets everything and is driving me insane, could she ADD?

My dd is 6, she doesn't listen, mostly ignores. When you tell her to do something she doesn't do and says she forgot(2 secs later?) She lies, she can do something right in front of you and say she didn't. Sometimes she will lie and when I ask her about says she didn't tell me that and then I tell yes this is what you said to me she say "I did?" like she did it with out knowing. She doesn't care about hygiene and frequently "forgets" to wipe herself. She knowingly does things that can hurt her 2 year old sister. I can't deal with it anymore and think I am harming her more by getting upset and yelling at her. Might she have ADD or ADHD? Is there some sort of therapy she could use? PLEASE HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What are the consequences for misbehaving? What are the rewards for good behavior? Are you always consistent with rewards and discipline? You may want to consider family counseling…

Answer by rkoloms at 5:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yelling is not discipline, you need to find what works for her, time outs, grounding, taking away a special treat, spanking (but not out of anger). Then you need to set up a system for rewards for good behavior, a special treat, prize, extra tv/computer time, anything that she really loves! Don't label her when she sounds like a normal 6 year old in need of discipline, she is just acting out!
    Anonymous

• She sounds like a normal 6 yr old to me, but maybe just needs to know more clearly what is expected of her. And she needs to know that there are consequences for being disrespectful and not behaving.
    I am terrible as far as yelling and expecting too much from my kids sometimes, but I'm working on it. It might be helpful to get some advice on gentle discipline from a counselor. If your dd is in school, try talking to her teacher or a school counselor for tips.
    Anonymous

• I hesitate to say she's a "normal" 6 year old...but only because she's nothing like mine. I only have one, so not much for comparison.

However, I think you need to research ADD because what you describe is not ADD or ADHD (I have both under this roof, including a 6 year old).

What are the consequences of her misbehaving? You've not said anything other than yelling.

I suggest you research "behavior modification".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Nov. 24, 2009