is there any thing i can do to help produce more milk?

im a new mother...i have been nursing my baby since birth...in the begging i was pumping about 5 ounces out of one breast now im not producing that much milk what should i do?

MamaD620

Asked by MamaD620 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would keep your baby at your breast as often as possible and if you do choose to pump or have to pump then i would pump at least 8-12 times a day. i know that is easier said than done, but this should help your milk supply catch up with baby's demands and increase. there is also an herbal tea you can buy called "mother's milk" tea. i doubt it actually works, but it isnt going to hurt you to drink it. it taste good as well... similar to camomile. good luck :)
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If you are pumping then you will never get as much out unless you stick to a strict pumping schedule. Babies are wayyyy more efficient at getting milk out then a pump, so if you are concerned just nurse more, drink lots of water, there are tea's out there (Mother's Milk) and some people say eat oatmeal. I never liked oatmeal, so I just used granola instead in my yogurt. If it's bad enough (baby isn't getting atleast six wet diapers a day, losing weight) then your doctor can prescribe medicines to help you produce more. I would contact an lactation consultant in your area.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I just read the other post and I can tell you, I felt like it worked. My breasts just felt MUCH heavier way past engorgement stage. I really liked the taste, add some honey though! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Your body will regulate the amount of milk based on the babies demand. It can be easy in the begining to pump that much and its normal not to pump that much. Your breast will also not feel as full once everything is regulated. Feed baby on demand and at the breast. If the baby has 6-8 wet diapers a day and gaining weight, he or she is getting everything they need. If you are pumping because you are away at work, pump on one while the baby feeds on the other. Or you can pump after the feeding. I am not sure of the details with the pumping :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:29 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• get some mothers milk tea! i LOVED that stuff! make sure you are drinking LOTS of water too!
    Des10ed2b

Answer by Des10ed2b at 5:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Mother's Milk tea
    eat fennel
    drink enough water! You have to drink a lot of water to make a lot of fluid.

The PPs have good advice.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• What you pump is not ever equal to what baby gets while nursing. So if pump output is your only concern, there isn't a problem. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• here is a great link! http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    Anonymous

• If you've been pumping a few months, you might need to replace the little rubber membrane seals in your pump. Depending on what kind of pump you have, you can probably find them at Babies R Us or Target, or call the manufacturer. I pumped for my first daughter while I worked, and I pumped extra for a milk bank. I read somewhere that every 3-5 months, you would need to replace the membranes if the pump is used daily.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2009