Accidents

Good afternoon, I have a 6 year old daughter that STILL has accidents all the time because she doesnt want to take the time away from what she is doing at the time. This has been going on since she was "potty trained" and I just dont know what to do anymore. I have tried time outs, grounding, taking things away from her, talking to her, taking her to the dr to rule out anything medical, you name it I have tried it! I am at a loss on what to do next. I cant handle washing her clothes day after day anymore as well as the smell. I try to work my schedule around her because if I have to go somewhere with her in the car, I always have to bring an extra change of clothes with. I am praying someone here is in the same boat as I am with a stubborn child. At this point, I am willing to try just about anything to get her to stop that. At her age, I feel she is WAY too old to still be having so called accidents! HELP PLEASE!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is this poop or pee or both?
    Anonymous

• for my oldest son if he eats any dairy he'll have an accident while he's sleeping. for my middle son after advice from a friend I discovered the preservative they use in bread cause him to have accidents. He only wet the bed when he eats bread w/ calcium propionate preservatives! here is a link that talks about food being connected to bed wetting http://www.goodnites.com/NA/Bedwetting-Support/Articles/eating-and-enuresis-how-foods-affect-bedwetting.aspx
    also for some chiropractic care can make a big difference
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Every couple of hours,make her go in and use the bathroom. My daughter would go all day without using the bathroom if I didn't remind her to take a break and go. In your case, every couple of hours, tell her it's time to use the bathroom, walk her in there and stand there until she goes. If 10 minutes pass and nothing, get her up, wash hands and try again later. You are going to have to get her into the habit of going. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:48 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Its wetting accidents but she doesnt wipe after she poops so I have to deal with poopy underwear as well. Lynette, she knows she has to go, she just chooses not to. I catch her doing the potty dance and make her go but she still denies she has to go. I just dont know what else to do, I am at my wits end over the whole thing.
    Anonymous

• consider having Nutritional Response Testing done on her. no needles! some chiropractors can do this for u. I had it done for $45. She told me about the presevatives thing but I didn't understand it till I was talking to one of my friends. intollerences or delayed reactions ofen won't show on things like scratch testing(comonly used by allergists)
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Thanks Lynette, I will try that but I am positive its laziness with her.
    Anonymous

• a friend of mine had to take tv away from her child because the kid would get so into the shows that he doesn't go to the bathroom. Also I have to say my child w/ the preservatives problem is always I swear doing the potty dance on days he eats bread.

try to act like it's all no big deal but also make a point to have her clean up her own accidents, u can help but have her do it too. if it is that she is just stubburn this might help
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• hugs, I hope she gets through this sooner rather than later!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• say r u the same person that posted the thing about your 6yr old being possibly add or adhd? http://www.cafemom.com/answers/334928/My_6_year_old_wont_listen_forgets_everything_and_is_driving_me_insane_could_she_ADD
    Behavioral problems can totally be connected w/ food issues. Try that testing or try the feindgold diet, it may just help! goodluck!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Positive reinforcement works better than punishment. I still have to do this with my grandson in Kinder. If he comes home from school clean and dry he gets a sticker 5 stickers equals a prize 1-3 bucks.. a coloring book..little stuff. Also talk to the teacher and tell her your problem . Ask her if she could direct your child to the bathroom once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Sticker charts were my last resort. He is developementally delayed..but quite capable of toileting. Next week his chart will go to 7 days for a prize. Eventually we won't need one..but as long as this is working it is keeping me sane.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2009