Vets: How do you feel when someone tells you "Thank you for serving"?

My husband hates it when people thank him because he feels he was only doing what he signed up for, it wasn't a choice.

How do you or your SO feel when someone thanks them?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 5:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My friends hate it because it is nothing like what the other vets have done.
    They say this "War" is a joke.
    They say when you can be stationed somewhere and it be like a vaction then you are not a vet.
    Anonymous

• My brother hates it when people thank him or call him a hero. The thanks are just embarassing for him; he says the real heroes never come back.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Well, they have put their lives in jeopardy for their country, right? Wouldn't this deserve appreciation from those of us at home? Are they just being modest or are they resentful? I haven't spoken with a recent veteran, but I have with their mothers, and I've said that I appreciate what their sons and daughters have done. Should I not?

Answer by Bmat at 5:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My husband has been serving for 18+years. He CHOSE to sign up. He appreciates it. Just as we say thanks to all the EMT's, firemen, and police officers out there. Thanks for serving. without them, our cities could not fully function.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• for those who "hate" being thanked. should we cease celebrating veteran's day, all veteran's parades, and all of the "perks" you got for serving, since they were "just doing their job."

didn't think so.
    Anonymous

• My Pop-Pop was in WW II and would be very embarrassed if someone said it to him, he would smile and say your welcome....He was awesome!

My Uncle was saying a few years ago, When I came home I never got any Thank you;s..So I said Thank you and he said I was just joking hon, if you EXPECT to be patted on the back for service you shouldn't be in it....We have many uncle's and other family that served, most don't talk about it  alot except the one that was a marine....he is a TRIP!! LOL

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My husband served for 34 years and he is very modest about it. The things he did were vital to our security but he feels like he was just doing his duty to this great country. He would appreciate it but does not need to be thanked as he knows what he did was for the good of the country. The families do appreciate it as they made great sacrifices. Young people today have no idea of what our country would be like under communist control. Us old dogs do. It would be hell!
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My family members say your welcome.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• It's not that they're unappreciated for the thank you but some just aren't sure what to do when someone does thank them.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My DH says it makes him feel awkward because he didn't really do much (he did 15 months). He says he didn't do it for the recognition. He always replies, "thank you, no problem, just doing my job." But he appreciates the gesture.
    Anonymous