Dog Issue with a step child

My stepson, who's 10, just got a rescue dog at his moms house. The dog is 1 yo and a terrier mix, apparently very sweet. The dog is specifically "his" dog and was gotten for him because he was feeling depressed over the loss of an older dog that had recently died over at his moms. My concern in looking toward the future is, what happens when he doesn't want to part with this animal when he comes to visit his dad, which is 3 days every week. My other question is, should we tell him his dog can come here too? We already have a dog and I'm not sure if we should allow this if he asks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sure what a great step mom right, bring the dog over, wouldn't not want you to have it here, as long as you think it will mesh with your current dog, I think you are going up a few notches in his book, and I think this should be YOUR idea!! Thanks for caring! More stepmoms should be this way, and I bet that there wouldn't be so much animosity between the adults LOL good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I would say no. My stepson also has a dog and the dog stays at his mom's house. Just like any other security item, sometimes it is not appropriate for a blanket or stuffed object to be at a restaurant, or a wedding or anything outside of the home. I would think the same would apply to this dog. The dog will probably get used to the schedule of SS being gone for a few days and then will be happier seeing the child when he gets home. I would just explain that Fido has to stay at Mom's house, that mom will take great care of him and that he will be able to see fido when he gets back. It's up to you and his dad if you want the dog at your home, I would just wonder where the line would be drawn (Sorry buddy, Fido can not come to the grocery store with us!).
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 6:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• no...i think that it could be bad for the dog..the change of environment. the dog should stay at his home.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• PS--I was the first poster, our little dog feels most comfortable coming with us! If he is truly bonded to your stepson, and vice versa, it will not be bad, as long as your dog is cool with it! My dog loves our son, and when DS goes to Grandmas dog goes to, makes him and doggie feel good!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2009