Something for a picky eater

My 21 month old is a very picky eater, peanut butter and toast for breakfast, mac and cheese for lunch, and chicken nuggets WITH ranch for dinner. Any suggestions? I tried something new today that she loved, and I enjoyed very much myself, and I wish to share it. Take the luch meat in the individual packages of ham, fry it it the skillet with some maple syrup just long enough to heat it up. It is good for any meal.

Shannon3390

Asked by Shannon3390 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I appears that she isn't getting any fruits or vegetables? Perhaps add applesauce or sliced banana to the peanut butter toast? and maybe a little mashed vegetables in the mac and cheese?

Answer by Bmat at 6:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Picky eaters are made, not born. Chances are, she is in the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.
    Most important, you need to set a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2009