My son seems like he's ALWAYS hungry...

My son is 23 days old and acts like he's always hungry. He was a big boy when he was born (9 pounds, 21 inches). He is eating 5 ounces at a time now, and he still seems like he's hungry. Is there anything I can do to make him feel more full?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you were only drinking milk and no food, wouldn't you be hungry too? you can increase his bottle size if you want to, but if h'es eating every 2-3 hours that's normal, especially for a 9 pound baby.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• A lot of ppl will tell you not to, but I put baby cereal in my son's bottles to help. Just put enough in that the milk is still able to flow freely to avoid choking. I hope this helps
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• No reason to put cereal in... baby's stomachs are not ready for that at 3 weeks old!!! Feed on demand and put a call in to your pediatrician if you're really concerned (you should be able to talk with a nurse). I have no idea how much my girls were drinking at that age because they were on the breast, but I do know they were on there all the time. There's usually a growth spurt right around that age. I wouldn't worry.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• You mean short of feed him more? **grin** Nope.

No cereal in bottles UNLESS directed by a doc for reflux. Cereal is carbs which can make them HUNGRIER in a short amount of time. Not to mention the infant digestive system isn't ready for it.

"Bottomless pit" is a pretty accurate description of a newborn.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My daughter was also a big baby 10lbs 2 oz. I breast fed her exclusively the first month. ALL she did was eat. I felt like a cow constantly milking to feed her. So I supplemented with formula starting at a month old. She would literally eat every hour the first month and a half or so. I think they are big enough it just takes a little more food. She's now 3 1/2 months old and on exclusisively formula and I just started to introduce rice cereal. Some days she still acts like a bottomless pit! I think it's just being a baby!
    JoMcD

Answer by JoMcD at 8:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I totally agree with EmilySusan.....no cereal in the bottle, they are not ready for it, it can expand their stomach and that would just further your problem. My youngest of 6 is 4 months old and I bf exclusively with all of them and I was nursing all the time....they have growth spurts around 3,7, and 12 weeks. Eating makes them feel comforted just like adults!!! :-)

mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 8:48 PM on Nov. 23, 2009