Anyone get the I.U.D. put in after giving birth? BE AWARE, TMI IN THIS QUESTION

I had gotten the I.U.D. put in 6 weeks after giving birth. That was back in August. Im still "bleeding" i guess is what you could call it...I really dont know how to explain it without grossing any of you out...umm i have very very little clots, and what comes out onto my pad doesnt look like blood...i basically have to wear something 24/7....and this has been since august...My doctor told me depending on my body depends on how long i bleed...but i dont know if wghats going on now is normal....anyone have the same problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah, that's normal. I know it's gross. When I had mine put in, I almost thought I was having a miscarriage with what came out. It's nasty. After a month and a half with bleeding, clotting, and cramps, I developed a massive infection and had to have it removed on emergency. I would never, ever recommend this method of birth control to anyone.
    Anonymous

• I had mine put in a year after I had DD. I bled for several months. The spotting eventually stopped and I never had a problem with it. I really liked it in fact. I got the copper one (no hormones). I'll probably get another one after I have this one (maybe...we seem to do well with the pull-out method, even my doctor said it worked great for her...). Anyway, you will hear horror stories regarding this. You will also hear horror stories regarding any other type of birth control. Discuss your concerns with your doctor. I do know that they generally recommend it for those who have already given birth because of the chance that the IUD can embed and scar the uterus, increasing the risk of miscarriage in the future.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 8:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I got mine at 7 weeks after giving birth. I have had very random bleeding and clots as well. My doc said it's normal to for up to 3 months.
    km1217

Answer by km1217 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2009