Could you reach your baby (or put them down without waking them) in a solid side crib?

Thanks to the latest crib recall, there's talk again of banning drop side cribs altogether, and the CPSC says they will no longer approve drop side cribs.
I don't have to worry about it anymore, but I know I could barely get DS to bed with the drop side, he was such a light sleeper. If I'd had to try to put him in over a solid side he never would've stayed asleep. If I'd put the mattress higher so I could reach it, he would've been climbing out before he could walk.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know I couldn't just because I am short. I am 4'11''. I have to put the side down to reach them/ put them down especially when the mattress get down to the lowest point. At least we have our crib and it will be used for future babies. We weren't planning on ever buying another one.
    Anonymous

• I might as well not buy a crib and just stick with t he pack and play then.
    Anonymous

• I did it for years so yes it can be done

Answer by admckenzie at 6:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• i could'nt try to lay my son down at all without him having a freak attack. I would have to lay him in my bed and lay with him for about 15 mins for him to get back to sleep...he never liked being alone
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• i think i held him to much when he was small
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I am short (5'1") but could still do it, my first child would wake at the sound of the side going up, so matter how quiet we made it. So, it can be done.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I'm 5'4 had have a crib that does NOT have a drop side. It's not that big of a deal. It's got a curved side so that helps and didn't have any problems with my daughter falling out. Once they are old enough to sit up, then you lower the bed. Until then just keep it on the top setting.
    Anonymous

• Hmmm, well I'm 4'11" and I have never used the drop side . . so yes, I can.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My son had an Amby crib he slept like a dream. No need to bend over and he was very safe.
    Anonymous

• Never had a problem. I never put the side down.
    Anonymous