What can cause self soiling?

My DD is already 100% potty trained and has been for months. But all of yesterday and today, she's been peeing in her clothes for no apparent reason. She woke up to wet sheets and has been wetting herself all day instead of using the toilet even though she's happy to sit on it and try. She's not showing any signs of pain or discomfort. She doesn't seem sick at all. So what might be causing it? She's only 2 so I can't think of any emotional stresses. Ideas? Solutions?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 6:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Some kids do regress for no reason. I wouldn't expect there to be a medical reason. What is going on in your lives right now that may be different, or stressful? I wouldn't worry too much, just try not to be negative about it ie:yelling or time-outs. Good luck.
    Amy_M

Answer by Amy_M at 7:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• maybe the new dog? does she see the dog pee inside?
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 7:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Any change in her environment could make her regress. I potty trained my SD at two, but on weekends that she visited her mom she would wet herself over there.
    Other things could be abuse, but if you are with her all the time then you can rule that out, and I have heard of that more with older kids. It could also just be that she wants a little extra attention from you and when she does it, it makes you stop what you are doing to help her. I wouldn't worry too much about it at 2. I agree with the other answer that says not to punish her for it. If it keeps happening, just call the dr to ask.
    TJandKarasMom

Answer by TJandKarasMom at 8:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My son (almost three, potty trained for 8 months) did this a few weeks back. I think he was just going through a phase where he wanted to see how long he could hold it, and didn't want to stop playing for anything! It was a few days, and every time he went in his underwear (he has superhero underwear, which he is quite proud of) I threw it away. That upset him, so he began paying more attention and making it on time.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 9:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Most of my experiance is from the elderly population, since I used to work in nursing, but here's what I think... Ask her if it hurts, burns or itches. *SOME* little girls can be prone to UTIs or yeast (yeast usually coming from diet or bathing suits) and the UTI can come on for absolutely no reason. Maybe a quick UA (easily done if she's potty trained) from the doctor can rule that out. I would take her to see a pedi just to be sure before we hit this long holiday weekend. Maybe she can be treated with yeast meds just to be sure if he/she rules out UTI...

Also, laundry detergent. Do you wash her laundry, at least her panties with free and clear detergent?
    yamdankypita

Answer by yamdankypita at 10:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I thought about the new dog but she hasn't seen her go inside.
    I'm always around so I know it's not abuse.
    I read about UTIs and she has none of the symptoms. She hasn't complained and she said no to my does it hurt questions. I don't wash her panties in anything special but it's never seemed to bother her before. I guess I'll call the Dr tomorrow and pull out the old diapers til then =(
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Well you say she is 2 , it totally normal for them to regress from time to time. My DD has regressed 2xs the first time for 2 weeks(not fun!!) and the 2nd time for 3 days. i just went back to the basics with her and had to remember not to get mad!! I do know that the 2nd time if she when in her pants I took her TV away(it noramlly happened during her evening movie time) and I think this helped us get over that time.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:59 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I hope you figure it out! I'm sure whatever may be the culprit is bothering her too, and she just doesn't know how to tell you!

I was just throwing suggestions out there, and it doesn't mean that's what it is... just some things to try if your doc says everything is ok... and I didn't want to make you panic, but I wouldn't want you both to potentially suffer over a long holiday weekend, or end up in ER, kwim?
    yamdankypita

Answer by yamdankypita at 3:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2009