Dressing or stuffing?

Just curious, do you make dressing or stuffing for Thanksgiving? I grew up with cornbread dressing, and every time I make it, it's gone before the meal is half done. I've never had a Thanksgiving with stuffing, unless my friends bring some over (normally Stove Top!) since we have all our friends over for Thanksgiving (because we live far from home and are military.) So which do you do?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 7:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• dressing, homemade, delicious, covered with gravy - dressing. Excuse me, I have to go wipe my chin!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• dressing...but not stovetop..my grandma has a good recipe
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• yeah I got my recipe from my grandma too.. Always corn bread dressing! Its so yummy but so unhealthy lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Both! I grew up with dressing. I make my great grandmothers recipe which was handed down to my Mamo and then to me (my Mom hates to cook!). My husband grew up with stuffing. I make a slightly different version of his Mom's recipe. It has sausage in it and I use sourdough bread instead of regular bread. I'll share the stuffing recipe if you want to email me.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Joy of Cooking says that they are the same thing - but the argument continues that anything baked in the bird is stuffing, and dressing is baked outside the bird. The original term was stuffing, but in Victorian England, it wasn't proper to say "stuffing". People thought it sounded a bit too crude for polite conversation.
    I like to call it all stuffing, and I'll eat it whether it's from inside a bird or not.
    Anonymous

• My moms family is from the north originally and makes dressing. My dads family is from the south and makes dressing. I personally like dressing better. Stove top is NOT the same! Real dressing is good but too rich for my taste.
    Anonymous

• We call it stuffing but we don't cook it in the turkey. My uncle is making it this year, usually I just use Stovetop.
    Anonymous

• Stuffing.
    Anonymous