11 year old flying alone....

My mom wants to send my sister out to visit and all the sites are saying you have to be 15 to fly alone...I was flying alone when I was 7 lol...But the question is...

Any of you guys ever fly your children places lol like recently?

ryanlynn

Asked by ryanlynn at 7:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/specialneeds/minors/default.aspx

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/children.html#um

http://www.nwa.com/services/onboard/minor/

****Here are the link for the policies of unaccompanied minors on continental, southwest, and northwest airlines. They will all allow an 11 year old to fly unaccompanied.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:24 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• No and I never would. I don't feel safe in the busy airport by myself and I'm 25! So many things can happen and they can get lost so easily. Not this day and age. No way.
    Anonymous

• Don't airlines have flight attendant escorts anymore? My cousins always came from California to visit every summer (they were probably 7, 10 & 12) and had a flight attendant assigned to walk them to their gates and sit by them and stuff. This was a long time ago though. It probably costs extra if they still offer it, but call around and check. Even if the sites say one thing, there might be exceptions to their rules.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I am pretty sure this can be done, call the airline and ask, think about all of the custody situations out there, someone has to offer this!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Why doesn't your mom come to visit with her?
    Anonymous

• you can pay extra for a shaperone,my friend s daughter flew from the uk to california..she was 14...she was accompanied by a female flight attendant from start to finish
    sharon35862

Answer by sharon35862 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My mother works ;)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• NO way!!! NEVER! I am 29 and I will not fly alone..
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I have flown alone and it's really not that serious. My nephew has flown several times alone. The child doesn't have to be in the airport alone. His father would wait with him until the flight boarded, he was with a flight attendant the entire flight and then his grandparents were at the destination gate waiting for him. It's really not such an issue. All of you who say you won't fly alone, WHY? What's the big deal . . I mean, what are you afraid of?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• that is not as big a deal as PP are making it out to be. There has to be a way, where they are put on the plane by a parent and the flight attendant watches over them while flying (what are they going to do, run off the plane?) and then are met with a family member when the plane lands.
    I would not hesitate to send my 11 year old on a flight alone as long as there was a person assigned to them.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2009