How can support my friend while she is in labor and giving birth?

I have given birth once before myself but I have not been on the other end of it. My friend ask my to be with her through the whole labor and deliver. I just don't wanna be annoying, I wanna be as helpful as possible. I remember when I was in labor and giving birth I just was annoyed by everyone. Any advice about what I should do for my friend. I just wanna be a good supportive person for her.

danielle8717

Asked by danielle8717 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I told my hubby once the pitocin drip was in to leave me alone lol...he just that and it was awesome. The hospital had wi fi so he took our lap top over to the other side of the room and surfed the net for a bit. Once my epidural was in we joked and laughed for hours until push time. Just do what ever it is she asks. If she gets pain meds and is relaxed try to say funny things to take her mind off of things. Don't start telling jokes if she is doing a natural delivery OMG I would have killed someone.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Talk to her about her birth plan and what kinds of things she likes to do to relax so you will be able to be helpful when the time comes. Go to a hospital tour with her if she wants to, and help her pack her things to prepare. Make sure you understand her ideas of how a birth should be, so you can help her deal with hospital staff and you can be strong for her emotionally. I wouldn't offer too much info about your own birth unless she asks.
    Anonymous

• How soon is she due?
    Will you be available to come and help her at home in earlier labor and then be able to be with her through the delivery?

As a doula, I have plenty of suggestions.   ;-D
    Please feel free to message with me about more details.    But I will suggest that you get started on reading this book for many helpful tips and great information:   The Birth Partner Book  (available at the library/book stores/online)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• doulala

• just be there for her if shes thirsty get her some water let her sleep as much as she can and hold her leg for her make her laugh dont let her hyperventilate lol just do what you can do gl
    Anonymous

• My friend in high school asked me to be in the delivery room with her. I was completly clueless. I just did whatever she asked me to do. She ended up having really bad back labor, so I spent 4 hours rubbing the small of her back every time she had a contraction. Also after the baby was born I made all of hte phone calls while they were stitching her up.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2009