I think my baby has thrush???

She's got little white dots on her tongue, and has had them since yesterday. I thought maybe it would go away but they're still there; what should I do???
I asked my mom and she acted like it was the end of the world, and said that we needed to take her to the hospital if it wasn't better by tomorrow, but she's got a doctor's appointment on December 1st. Can it wait until then, or will it go away on its own?

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 8:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It sounds like thrush to me. You should call the dr in the morning and get her in tomorrow, don't wait until Dec 1st.
    Also, to prevent it, make sure you are not putting anything in her mouth after it is in your mouth. When I was 4, I used to steal my brother's pacifier and then put it back in his mouth when my mom came around and I gave him thrush. My SDs mother would clean off pacifiers and bottles by putting them in her own mouth and she gave my SD thrush.
    TJandKarasMom

Answer by TJandKarasMom at 8:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• if it is thrush you need meds for it and you need to boil the bottles every night everything everynight
    Anonymous

• She could die from this...So, no I dont think it can wait.
    Anonymous

• You need to get her in ASAP or it will get worse. Please don't wait til Dec 1. Especially if you breastfeed, the sooner the better.
    Anonymous

• How old is she? Are you breastfeeding?
    It really isn't the end of the world, but it's not pleasant and it's sometimes hard to get rid of.
    Anonymous

• There's a lot of info here
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html
    that is pretty helpful. I'd probably call your dr and see if they'd like to see her before Dec. 1st, especially if you are nursing and it's uncomfortable (that means you will probably need to see your dr and be treated also).
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I'm not BF (never did make enough milk) and she's 6 months old. she's eating fine and she's not being overly fussy. I was reading on WebMd about it and it said that it's usually on the cheeks inside the mouth, and if it's only on the tongue then it could be formula residue but I've tried to wipe it off and it's not coming off. I'll call the doctor tomorrow to see what they say.
    Thanks everyone for your advice! (Except for anon :40 - nowhere have I read that babies can die from thrush.)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I personally would just put a call in to the doc and see what he/she has to say. It most likely can wait til Monday, but a doctor should be able to advise you over the phone on what to do. I do know that some cases of thrush dont even need medication and it will resolve itself within a few weeks but I would call the doc just to be on the safe side:)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My daughter got thrush a few times as an infant. My ped. at the time just told me to give her a little bit of vinegar in some water and it would take care of it. Thing is I can't remember how much it was, no more than a tsp. I think for like a 6 or 8 oz. bottle. I never had to even take her into the office. He told me that over the phone.
    Anonymous