Natural Family Planning?

Can some explain to me about natural family planning? How can you tell when you are ovulating? Isn't everyone's body different? Is there something about your temperature? And the charting? I have been on bc for 10 years except when I went off it to get pregnant with my son so I was off it for about a year. I am considering trying natural family planning, but I am petrified of getting pregnant at this point in my life!! (I have a 7 yr old, my DF has a 6 yr old, we have custody of both and live with my MIL!!)

TJandKarasMom

Asked by TJandKarasMom at 8:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• It works perfectly for us. You also have to be willing to have other forms of sex to keep it more certain. Oral sex and other non penis-in-vagina stuff is going to become a lot more common for you guys. The best way to not get pregnant is keep sperm out of your body.

If you want to have regular intercourse, you need to know your fertile days and your "safe" days. I also wouldn't recommend letting him ejaculate inside you unless you are having your period.

I have very regular cycles so I can time my ovulation down to the hour just about.

doulala sent you some good info. That should help you learn your cycle.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I really second Taking Charge of Your Fertility for understanding how NFP works. A great read that covers pretty much everything you'll need to know. Bear in mind the calendar/rhythm method is NOT NFP... charting and fertility signs are completely different from choosing a day on the calendar. Good luck!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I HIGHLY sug. reading about it in the mntnd book or taking a certfd class (Cath. churches ALWAYS have them: this is their preferred method)! It can be complicated and it can be done wrong if you don't know what u are doing. BUT IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING & DO IT, IT IS VERY ACCURATE, MORE SO THEN HORMONAL BC!!!!

This is how it works in a nut-shell: every women's body gives clues as to her stage in fertility (they may happen at dif. times when women aren't regular but they always happen if one is fertile). NFP tells you how to de-code these clues and know when you are fertile and when you are not. Temperature (basil body, not regular oral), secretions, chart, and other signs clue you in to this. One must know how to test/check for and monitor these signs and do it with consistency to be correct. It does take some dedication & patience from both partners. When 1 is fertile, avoid vag sex (preferred) or use condoms
    northtexasmomma

Answer by northtexasmomma at 11:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2009