Is it true that some moms give thier babies cereal in their bottles when they are threee months and maybe earlier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Lots of people do it, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Unless a dr recommends it because the baby has reflux, there's no reason for it . It can be hard for a baby to digest, and it doesn't help them sleep any longer.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yes its true. All 3 of my older ones got cereal at a month. It was spoon fed to my 3rd bc he never got a bottle.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• It is true, but sometimes moms do as their mothers and so on have done, I didn't until my DS was 4 months old, and thats when his doc said it was okay! Are you thinking about it, or why do you ask?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• When my son was 3-4 months, I put cereal in his bottle b/c it seemed like he wasn't getting full enough. I did this occasionally or until I thought he was getting enough. When I started working a daycare center, there were some moms who put cereal in every bottle their infant had...many of them were 6 months & younger. Some of the babies seemed overweight or fat. I don't think it's necessary.
    Anonymous

• i dont get it you picked the best answer once... about us moms who give our babies cereal are just selfish... what more are you looking for?
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I fed my kids when they were a few months old---cereal , from a small bowl, thinned so it wasn't hard for them to eat. But it doesn't work in a bottle.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I havn't had the need to do it yet (he's 4 months old) but I know of some people who do to help there child sleep thru the night... I don't think it's selfish. I think that a parent knows what there kid needs and if they think they need cereal, then they need cereal. every child is different
    Domsmom2009

Answer by Domsmom2009 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Sure it's true. But people do it for different reasons. We did it with our son under doctor's orders from about 3 weeks old until he was about 5 months because of his reflux. Once it started going away and he was eating cereal off of a spoon we stopped putting it in his bottle. He never slept longer during the night with the cereal in his bottle but he slept better without the pain of the reflux irritating him (he had other issues, though, like colic and easily over stimulated...he was my problem baby, lol).
    He's 8 now and a normal, healthy little boy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• YES---other wise they would drink more and more and more formula and then they would spit up and then want more and spit that up and they were not satisfied. It was a never ending cycle, so I did it and they were full and content.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• pretty much to each its own and on one answer is correct!
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2009