Should I get my tubes tied?

I have a soon to be 3 yr old boy, a one year old boy and am expecting another boy in febraury. . it seems that every pregnancy is getting more difficult to go through then the last oneand we dont make much money. i kind of want another baby but am not sure. but bf doesntwantanymore kids. have been considering having my tubes tied..but want to learn more about it. do u think i should get my tubes tied given y stiuation? do they need to do a c section to get this done? can i still breastfeed? and how long is the recovery time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• You dont need a c/section to do it. They can make a couple of small incisions and do it that way.
    If you feel you are done and you know your situation is not about to change and that you are better off as is...then do it.
    No one can tell you whether you should or shouldnt because in the end...its all about you and your family and no one anywhere knows them better than you do.

I knew my family was complete after my 3rd boy so I had mine tied. Its not a complicated process and is pretty easy recovery wise. You will probably have some cramping after its done but its mild from what I understand.

I had mine done after my c/section so my recovery would be different from you. There are a few rules but nothing major and I had no real pain afterwards(from either procedure).

If you have ANY doubts then keep thinking it over. Weigh the pros and cons and go from there. You still have plenty of time to decide.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• under those conditions I would.
    Anonymous

• " kind of want another baby but am not sure. but bf doesntwantanymore kids" If you are thinking you want more kids, dont do it! He may grow in time to want more also. I dont think I could ever tie my tubes. It just seems so sad. If you arent sure you dont want any kids, do something less permanent. Maybe an iud or something.
    mkrmomma1

Answer by mkrmomma1 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• how about gettin an IUD? that way, it will prevent you from getting pregnant for the next 5 years until the babies get a lil older, then you can re-evaluate the situation at that time, instead of doing something permanent and later regretting it? thats what im getting...i may want more children when im a lil older, but i need something long-term right now because I DEFINITELY dont want to get pregnant again for at least 5+ years....
    mzhazelrae313

Answer by mzhazelrae313 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If you think you are done but are not quite sure, I wouldn't do it. Regard it as permanent and if there is any questions, don't do it. There are other methods of bc out there that can be reversed if you change your mind a few years down the road.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Oh and yes...you can still breastfeed.

Recovery time will be on you. They will probably limit you in some ways for a couple of weeks but the pain you feel and how you manage it will be on you as an individual. If you have a high pain tolerance then it probably wont bug you much, if any. If you are sensative to pain then it might bug ya more. Its hard to really say.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Let your spouse get a vasectomy. It is safer, less expensive and has a much shorter recovery time.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I do not advocate vasectomies or tubals first off. I suggest Essure for permanent birth control. It can be done in office and you get confirmation that it worked and it cannot self reverse itself like vasectomies and tubals.

As for should you have it done, NO! You are not 100% sure you are done. Permanent stuff should only be done if you are 100% sure. I would suggest going with an IUD. It lasts 5-10 years.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:03 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Do Not get your tubes tied if you're not 100000% sure that is what you want to do. Never decide based on someone else's opinion, only your own. It is a surgery, and they do cut you open to do this surgery. They put you under anasthesia and it is a serious operation. You have other methods like condoms and BC if you want to hold off on another child. However, do not, please do not get them tied unless YOU (and only you) are 100% sure about this.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2009