Why are all the cute dresses for birthdays & Christmas sleeveless?

I just don't get it, why are they not long sleeve for Winter? I found the cutest birthday outfit for my daughter to wear in her portraits but it is sleeveless. Do you think it will look bad? I was just going to save the top & let her wear it in the Summer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• dont know....always wondered that myself.
    mzhazelrae313

Answer by mzhazelrae313 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• shoot I'm always complaining about the opp. why are they all long sleeved. Of course I'm in florida
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Can you put a little long sleeved turtleneck under it or another knit long-sleeved shirt?

Answer by Bmat at 10:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If I buy a dress for my daughter that is sleeveless then I usually put a little sweater over it that is made for dresses. At Gymboree they always have long sleeve dresses for winter.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 10:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I don't know... it's annoying! I'm in Ontario, it would be nice if the winter dresses had sleeves! If it's a jumper it's always possible to layer it with longer sleeves underneath, if it's short sleeved you could always buy a cute little cardigan to layer over it. My dd is wearing a sleeveless dress for her b-day portraits in December- she'll be plenty warm in the portrait studio and she can put her coat on to go back home.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• they are in cahoots with the sweater company. They want you to buy the little shawl to cover the top of the dress. Its a conspiracy!...lol
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Probably because the designers think the dresses look more elegant without sleeves. I don't buy those fancy dresses for the girls but almost all of their pretty dresses (that they play in) are sleeveless. In the winter I make them wear tights under and find a sweater to wear over it. They insist they aren't cold, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Honestly, I can tell you... it's because it is MISERABLE to sew sleeves for little outfits. Gathered sleeves for holiday dresses are the worst. It's such a tiny space to sew such intricate work. If it weren't so important to my husband and I that our daughter wear sleeves, we would be making them without sleeves ourselves.

I will say though... if the two of us can figure out how to make an attractive dress, with the adorable but miserable little sleeves... someone I'm paying to sew had better be able to figure it out too. It's hard, and it takes a lot of time, but I like sleeves on dresses.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 1:59 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I think Shyma is on to something! I wondered that too. Winter = cold = need sleeves. It seems so obvious.....
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2009