A Honest question for any JW's plz...

My neighbor is JW, she is non practicing... she was raised in Montana as one... she married moved to MI and had kids. Now her dh is deployed, her MIL is living with her and what I have been told is treating her MIL (whom is being treated for colon cancer) horribly and then will call her mother in Montana and say that she is still a sworn practicing JW and the children are being raised one... They are not and her dh is Lutheran and so is her MIL... non practicing, but has faith.
Now with that being said... ? is this... why do you think she would lie to her mother about her religious practice? Now I have read (not ALL) that some branches of JW require you to disown a family member(s) if they are not JW or leave the church is this true?
Her dh is coming home in a few weeks for good... he is walking into a big mess that he is going to have to clean up...
Can you plz give some insight on the religion?
TY all...

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 10:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Gmasboy - I was raised JW. My mother is JW, so is my grandmother and aunts. As you already know, I am not...They don't REQUIRE you do disown ANYONE. Even those that are removed or disfellowshiped from the "church" they do however ask that you limit your contact. It's the simply idea of One Bad Apple Spoils The Bunch... My mother was a baptized member of the JW religion and was disfellowshiped for having pre-marital sex. She was asked to limit her contact with other JWs to family and business associates. Her mother and sisters who were still active members in good standing were NOT asked to disown her! They were told it was up to them how to treat her disfellowshipment. Why this woman is lieing is unknown, it could be out of shame or it could be that her beliefs have not changed even if she has fallen away.

Also, there is only one branch of JW...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• yes they disown you. So that may be why she is lying.. Anyways that being said what do u care? and isnt it HER and her families biz?
    Anonymous

• Well anon... I do care bc her MIL is 74 and being mistreated and I am the one taking her to get her chemo... so what why be a bitch.... oh I know did you trip over your Christmas lights?????
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I'm not a Jehovah's Witness... my dh's cousins are and we were basically written off by them almost fifteen years ago because we were 'living in sin.' Kind of sad... they were dh's only cousins growing up and he has not seen or spoken to them in a decade. They've never seen our kids. I'm not sure if that's typical of the faith and I hope someone who is a practicing JW is able to give the insider perspective, but my experience has been that not practicing that faith or living up to the expectations of that faith can be a relationship buster.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I am out of here for the night... thank you in advance for any helpful answers... I will check in the morning... one more day of school for my 8 yr old before the Thanksgiving break....
    Again TY and good night ladies...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• i' m a JW, sabrinabowen is right. I still see plenty of friends and family that are not JW. my best friend is catholic and i love her dearly, we hang out all the time. a couple of my siblings arent jw either and although we dont live close by, we still make it a point to have dinner once in a while and call eachother on a regular basis. Cant understand why she would lie to her mom. if my dd ever left our religion, id still talk to her, she's my baby.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Sorry Gmasboy wish I could help but I'm not familar with JW. I guess all I can say is no matter what your religion you should not treat your elders badly. Just the way I was brought up. Kuddos to you for taking her to her chemo {{{HUGS}}}
    momofne

Answer by momofne at 11:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I'm not JW so this is purely speculation, some parents are very domineering and perhaps this woman is afraid (maybe subconsciously) of her mother?

And I also wanted to commend you for taking this lady to chemo. (((((hugs)))))) and WAY TO GO!

big smile mini

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:32 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I'm sure there are many people who lie to their parents about their relgious practices. I do believe that JW are disowned if they don't follow, but I'm sure there are many families who don't do this. I would not get involved in this families personal problems.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Thank you Ladies all for your thoughts and insight...
    I will just continue to help my neighbor in any way I can nd my dh is going to help her move
    shortly after her son comes back from tour....
    I understand the stress issues when you have a loved one deployed and a home/kids and
    trying to keep up with the norm for the children, but stress only can used so far...
    I was just curious is her religious beliefs/upbringing had or possibly has/had something to do with her attitude with her MIL and the way she is treating her....
    I meant no disrespect to any current or former JW's

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:27 AM on Nov. 24, 2009