The show Hoarders----Hello

Is this real hoarders or someone too lazy to clean seriously? Like tonight there is an old lady and man, it looks like it got out of hand and no one to help and the other was a teenager/young man and his drunk father, maybe they are just lazy and unmotivated. Most of these hoarers are not high paid professionals, you know what I mean.

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 10:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• lol I know .That show is so sick!!!!!!! They should re-name it " too fuckin lazy to do shit!"
    Anonymous

• it CAN be a sickness. it is NOT always laziness *yes i think it can be* it can be a symptom of OCD which is a very real mental illness. its hard to tell from just watching tv if they suffer from a VERY REAL illness or are just...well. ..lazy
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 10:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• The ones on the show are real. Most of them get physically ill at some point in the process from the anxiety. There was a depression-survivor woman on the first episode, she hoarded food. It wasn't laziness. She had 2 year old yogurt that she didn't want to throw out because the containers hadn't puffed up yet and her mind unpuffed=ok to eat. A freezer didn't shut all the way and she had years-old partially thawed, rotten meat that leaked all over the the inside of it. She wanted to save any container that touched the juices as long as it was sealed (again, 2 years old, not puffed up, ok in her house).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I watch and think the same but do know that it is a mental illness. We have a friend who is like some of these people (not the the extreme, though). It is their way of keeping control of something - they just don't know what the something is. It is like any addiction, you don't eat (for overeaters or emotional eaters) because you are hungry you eat to bury unresolved issues and until you deal with the underlying issue you cannot control the addiction
    Anonymous

• Its very real. I work in a couple of group homes that currently have hoarders. One of them has prader willi syndrome and CAN'T help but hoard food.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Definitely a real condition. My dad is getting that way. I've had to put my foot down on some things. He's a food hoarder to a point. There is food in our pantry that expired in the mid-90s that he refuses to let me throw away...if he's in the room. I've periodically gone through and culled the really expired stuff without him knowing. I refuse to eat it and won't let the kids eat it. There is also stuff in our freezer from the late 90s that he won't get rid of.
    Then there is the magazines and stuff. He's so afraid that if he throws something out he will find he needs it. Except these magazines and papers are 5, 10 sometimes 15 years old. Luckily it hasn't gotten to a point where it fills the house (the kids toys do that). He was always a pack-rat and it's just getting worse the older he gets and now that my mom isn't alive any more.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I have OCD & am in the process of eliminating an entire bedroom of things. Clothes & toys are wall to wall & floor to ceiling...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Nov. 24, 2009