Got my period- still breastfeeding

I was only able to breast feed my first son through 7 months. I attributed my supply dwindling to stress. When I stopped feeding, my period came back. Now, with my second, at 5 months, I'm on my 3rd period and still breastfeeding. Anyone experience something similar?

MomEof2mj

Asked by MomEof2mj at 10:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Health

• I always got my period back when I was nursing exclusively. Some women have it return earlier than others. It's normal.
    Anonymous

• Both times, I got my period back at the 6 month mark and continued to breastfeed until 1yr old.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• It's different for everyone. Some women get their period even while breastfeeding full time. I did with my 2nd and 3rd babies.
    Anonymous

• The return of menstruation does not mean the end of breastfeeding. The milk does not sour or "go bad" when you are having a period. The milk is no less nutritious when you are menstruating than when you are not. Some women do notice a temporary drop in milk supply in the days just prior to a period and for a few days into one. This is due to hormonal fluctuations. Once the period begins and hormone levels begin to return to normal, the milk supply will boost back up again. Most babies can compensate well for this temporary drop in supply with more frequent nursing. http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/menstruation.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I breastfed and started getting regular periods when my daughter was about two months old.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 AM on Nov. 24, 2009