Is 3 too young to take away pull ups at night?

I hadn't planned on doing this for another year or 2 or 3! But for about 2 weeks now, she's been waking up dry from naps (1.5-2 hours) and in the morning (sleeps about 8-9 hours), although she's been getting up at 4-5 am calling me and telling me she has to pee and then going back to bed. Before this she was waking up with her pull up practically down to her knees, and now as of 2 weeks she just wakes up, pees, and goes back to bed. It's so strange! I haven't cut fluids off or done anything different, she always uses the potty before bed. I put her down at 8 pm so was thinking of "just incase" to wake her up at 11 pm to pee and just take away the pull ups all together. Is it too soon, could she just be going thru a phase? I thought they weren't ready for this til atleast 5 years old?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think she is ready because she knows when her body has to go, that's great. My two year old son still gets up in the night to tell me he has to go, we quit putting him in diapers when he was like 18 months and he has had only two accidents. I would get a mattress cover if you don't already....just in case!! But save yourself the money and stop buying pull ups!! Good for you!
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 8:34 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I would save the money and take them away. Just be aware you may have some wet beds at times. I would bring her to bathroom one last time before I went to bed and again first thing in the morning. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• Pull ups are nothing more than diapers. I would take them away and deal with having a wet bed sometimes.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• mines going to be three in jan and has been completly without diapers since about june i would take them away but just as posted above be ready to change the sheets every so often mine wets the bed less then once every two weeks
    ISLUVZOLIVIA

Answer by ISLUVZOLIVIA at 11:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I took my daughter's away when she was 3. Now my youngest refuses to wear them at all and I don't make her. Kids will have accidents, but they will get fewer and fewer, just grin and bear it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I would wait another week and see of she still gets up on her own. If she does then I would just take them away and let her get up on her own(dont wake her)
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 8:27 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• If she's staying dry why not? My youngest hasn't worn pull-ups (day or night) since she was 2 1/2. She's had like 3 accidents since then and all in the first couple of week and mostly because she couldn't disentangle herself from the blankets and make it to the bathroom in time. We put her back in pull-ups for a week but she had no more accidents and learned to get up a little earlier before she was ready to wet herself already. She hasn't had an accident since then (she's 3 1/2 now). She usually sleeps 10-11 hours a night.
    My oldest was also staying dry at night from the age of 2. She wore pull-ups until she was staying dry during the day, a couple months after she turned 3 and then just stopped wearing them. She never had a single accident at night and she slept 12+ hours at a time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:34 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My daughter just turned 3, and she's been potty trained since 2.5 but she definietly still needs her diaper on at nap and bed time because of how much she wets. I try to cut back on fluids before bed time, but it hasn't worked yet, and I'm not washing sheets every single day. They'll be ready soon enough. My pediatrician said this is very normal and typical.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• You were actually planning on her being in pullups until she is FIVE?

If she's potty trained, stop putting them on her! Get a waterproof cover for the mattress and let her grow up.
    Anonymous

• Nothing wrong with using pull ups to avoid the mess of night time accidents. not all kids are physically read to hold their bladder that long early on. Mine's 2 1/2 and she's been consistantly dry in the mornings. She's still in pull ups until I take sometime to go get a mattress pad for the twin bed. I had her in underwear last night and she did fine. She trained just after 2 but didn't start staying dry at night until about 2 months ago and then about once a week she'd be wet in the am. THe last 2 weeks have been dry so I think I'm going to do away with the pull ups once this bag is gone. They are uncomfortable for her sometimes.
    Anonymous