10 year old and dating

I am the teacher of a youth group of 5th, 6th, and 7th graders, one of the girls told me she had a date for movies over holiday. The boy is paying and she expects a kiss at end of evening. They are doubling with another couple the same age. AM I crazy or is this way way to young? How old should kids be to pair up for a date?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I had my first boyfriend in 7th grade. I know many who had them younger. 5th grade everybody started dating.
    Anonymous

• Ummm... I would have to say No, you are not crazy and YES this is wayyyyy too young. If this were my daughter, I would have something to say!!
    Anonymous

• 10 yr olds shouldn't be "dating". No way.
    Anonymous

• Way too young. My first "date" I was 12, and all it was was my parents were taking me to the skating rink and they said the boy I had a crush on could be there and we could skate together. Wasn't really even a date. My first "real" date I was probably 14 or 15, and I don't think I went on an unchaperoned, single (not group) date until I was 17.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Way too young. A date to a school dance is one thing. But not double dating to movies or anything unchaperoned.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• WOW! that sounds INSANE to me! lol I am currently homeschooling and my oldest is 9! She is definitely into boys...BUT BELIEVE ME...no dating till at LEAST 15! AT LEAST! lol
    just my opinion..I REMEMBER BEING A TEEN! >:/ lol
    MrsHope702

Answer by MrsHope702 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• A lot of girls in my daughter's school (she's 11) are "dating". My daughter gets soooo sick of hearing "my boyfriend my boyfriend my boyfriend. " 10 year olds should not date... especially unchaperoned. Have parents not heard all the horror stores of early middle schoolers thinking oral sex is okay because it's not "real" sex??? I'm thrilled my daughter and her two besties still think boys are smelly nosepicking aliens!
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 2:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• NO 10 year old should be dating anyone for any reason. NO child that I have will date before the age of 16.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• When you say "youth group" I assume you mean a teens christian group - if so then this sounds like an issue you need to address in your teachings! I would say no younger than 16. Definately not 10!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• YES !! Way to young,my son is 11 and I would never let him go on a double date with another couple...I don't even feel right calling 10 and 11 year olds couples,plenty of time to do this...if kids this age want to go to the movies together...go with them.
    JenaLeigh3

Answer by JenaLeigh3 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 27, 2009